Machspeed

Auto to TKO 600 Conversion

Hey friends, my car is at the painters now acquiring a couple coats of epoxy. Next week, I expect to bring her home and mock up the assembly and evaluate panel fit prior to taking it back to painter for paint. Mock up includes a stroked 351 Windsor with Edelbrock Performer RPM Air Gap intake, shaker scoop, and TKO 600 trans. I have special motor mounts and expect to modify the air cleaner to accommodate the shaker. My concern is more in relation to the Transmission install than anything. I purchased my TKO 600 from Modern Driveline a couple of years ago and should have all the parts for the conversion but some things are a little foggy now in that conversion. The car was originally a 351 Windsor with FMX trans and power front disc brakes. I wish to keep my power brakes but I'm wondering what kind of issues I will run into in that area as it is pretty tight and I'm concerned about interference problems. I have a set of JBA shorty headers going on it too. If anyone has done this conversion, or something remotely close, I would really appreciate your insight? Pictures would be nice too!  

Thanks you!!! 

I'm about 2 months away from doing the same thing, but I am using a 302/8.2" deck block. Same specs, shorty headers, full MD kit. And I also bought all the bits 4 years ago...

From what I have read the only issue is the brake booster clearance where the cable  enters the firewall (I assume you are using MD cable clutch conversion?) with the 9" booster being the issue. The 8" booster (which I have) is better as the cable is supposed to go in right next to the booster.

The motor mounts only seem to be needed to get the shaker sitting right, although I can't get my K&N air filter on with the current Torker intake. I've got a RPM air gap as well to go on the new motor so hopefully it is a bit lower. But I'm happy to chuck a shaker on it :)

I installed a  T-56 Magnum in my Mustang. Also an 351W/FMX car. The Magnum is a bit bigger than the TKO 600, so I had to do some cutting, perhaps you need to also, since the TKOs are pretty boxy. 

http://1969stang.com/forum/index.php?/topic/48318-crashed-my-fastback-the-rebuild-thread/page/14/&tab=comments#comment-184062

Also, David Freiburger (HOT ROD) instralled a TKO 600 in thier '69 "Discustang", so that should be coming up on either Roadkill or Roadkill Garage shows on Motortrend.com. Could perhaps be a few tips to get there.

If you don't have the low profile tranny from MDL I suggest you modify it whilst it out of the car.

You wont be able to get the right driveline angles otherwise.

The tranny needs to to come upp well under the floor to eliminate vibrations.

I have learned this the hard way.