Cantedvalve

Head gasket issue? (No it was a wiped cam)

24 minutes ago, Cantedvalve said:

Ahhh... no.  Gear drives are not for me.

I had to purchase a new cylinder for the engine hoist today... it wouldnt lift anything more than 3 inches off the ground.  God bless Harbor Freight!

I have one of those engine hoists.  Not the best, but so far it has worked every time.

I too am not a fan of gear drives.  From what I understand they tend to transmit the valvetrain vibrations, loads, etc. to the crank which is not good.

36 minutes ago, 1969_Mach1 said:

I have one of those engine hoists.  Not the best, but so far it has worked every time.

I too am not a fan of gear drives.  From what I understand they tend to transmit the valvetrain vibrations, loads, etc. to the crank which is not good.

Actually, that is a myth. Though they do not recommend a gear drive with a supercharger.

Okay, so the engine is tore down.  All the rod bearings were fine, but the cam bearings and main bearings weren’t so lucky.  Despite the fact that there was no sign of it on the cam lobes, #3 and #4 cam bearings were damaged.  Same deal with the main bearings.  The main journals on the crank look pristine, but the bearings on #3 and #4 are both damaged.  On main #4 there is what appears to be a 0.030” groove around both halves, but the main journal on the crank is fine.

All cylinder bores are still sporting the original cross hatch, and no ring ridge at the top.  After cleaning off the carbon from the top of he bores, all 8 pistons came out with ease.  Skirts look good.  Rings look good.  Dirty now, but good.

So obviously I need to get all new bearings.  Piston rings?  These only have around 15,000 miles on them.  I’ll sleep on it... and by sleep on it, I mean I’ll look around the web.

CV from everything I have seen after 24 years in the auto business that milky gunk in the radiator & the inside of the valve cover sounds to me like you got coolant in the oil.

The garage it was stored in can get very humid, regardless of the weather outside. I think it was condensation.  There wasn’t any coolant in the oil when drained.  The gunk in the valve covers was definitely water-oil emulsification, but I don’t think coolant.  It only showed up on the aluminum parts, and only in the valve cover area.  Nothing in the pan or lifter valley or  crankcase

I found the rest of the lifters.... in the oil pan.  LOTS of debris.  Not anymore though.... its cleaned out now.

Also finished scraping the gasket surfaces.  And removed the old bearings. And removed the old piston rings.

Need to find a good way to clean the pistons.