Sign in to follow this  
Black Jade

Alignment Question

What alignment specs would be a good suggestion for my setup?

69 Fastback

Power steering

1" lowering springs (no shelby drop)

245/45/17 Tires 

17 x 8 AR500 wheels

4.75 backspace

Had some upper ball joint issues and put new Moog ones in, way tighter than what I had.

Thanks,

Ed

For street -0.5 camber, max + caster you can get (I am running +8.8 caster at the moment with my modified upper control arms, but with stock control arms and strut rods you can get about +3.5 caster) and 1/16 to 1/8 toe in. No more than 0.25 degrees difference between right side and left side on camber and caster.

On 4/25/2019 at 12:35 AM, aslanefe said:

max + caster you can get (I am running +8.8 caster at the moment with my modified upper control arms, but with stock control arms and strut rods you can get about +3.5 caster)

Whta would be the biggest benefit in going highter than the somewhat regular 3-4 degrees caster angle? Is tramlining reduced? Isn't it heavy to steer at low speed?

4 hours ago, Casgar said:

Whta would be the biggest benefit in going highter than the somewhat regular 3-4 degrees caster angle? Is tramlining reduced? Isn't it heavy to steer at low speed?

More caster makes the car turn (handle) better. I've read that the closer you get your caster to the SAI (steering axis inclination) the better the car will handle. I believe our Mustangs have 10° sai. I've got 8° caster with manual steering and 245/40-18 tires up front. Low speed parking is the only time extra effort is required by my 63 year old arms. 

Yes, more caster will result in the car wanting to go straighter.