Sign in to follow this  
Cantedvalve

Need Carburetor Recommendation

Currently, I am running a prepped Holley 650 mechanical secondary carburetor with the hoke horn milled off.  Why?  Because back in my younger years, I had bolted a supercharger to the engine, and needed something that would work in that application.  Supercharger is gone, but the carburetor remains.  Here are the vitals:

• AOD with 2500 stall
  • 3.89 gears in the back
  • Stock 351C-2V long block with a Lunati 000093 camshaft (.536/.562 lift, 290/300 adv duration, 224/234 @0.050)
  • Weiand single plane intake
  • Headers and dual exhaust

I am thinking a 600CFM vacuum secondary of some flavor.  I am rabidly anti-Edelbrock, so please dont recommend it.  Holley, Summit (actually heard good things about them), or some sort of Holley clone?  What is important to me is smooth performance and easy tuning.  Not looking for top power right now (or I would have left the supercharger on the engine).

Thoughts?

quick fuel carbs are the best bang for the buck, and an annular booster carb will typically provide a bit better throttle response. vacuum secondary carbs are far more street friendly, especially with auto trannies. 600 to 650 is a good range, and keep in mind that the secondary opening timinig is adjustable, so a 650 can sort of be detuned to a 600 cfm etc.

what is the compression?

I highly recommend AED Performance carbs. On Mine is a 750 mechanical secondaries/No electric Choke/horns milled off runs smooth and is there on power for me.  Starts easy enough even in the cold 30°  Winter Central California mornings, i let it warm up and go.  Straight out of box , I have only adjusted idle in 4 years. Up or down . Thats it. They sell 650 carbs also. With Vacuum I am not sure . But check out their Web site Aed Performance , they were great on my questions for my application.  The owner actually responded to my email. I am very happy with my Carb. I have had Edelbrock Thunder series 650 / edelbrock 600 cfm/holley street avenger in the past. I have always had to mess with adjusting something on those.  But this Aed is Easy for me. Summit sells their Aed Carbs. Thats where I purchased mine with my Summit Card . 

@EastYorkStang  Yes, then no.  If i went EFI, it would be Holley's system.  That said, I am not looking to create more work on this car right now.

@barnett468   Whatever stock compression is on a 351C 2V... in the 9:1 neighborhood.  Quick Fuel is another one I saw recommendations on as well.  I think I have it down to the Summit or the Quick Fuel 600CFM.  The Summit one is based on a Holley 4010, which is based on the Autolite 4100, so its kinda Ford-ish.  And I have heard good things about them.

@J's69Mach1  I am running an automatic in a street car.  I think mechanicals might not be what I want... fuel mileage and all.

Reason for the change (and this would have been good to tell up front) is that I need to take down the Expedition for timing chains and such, so the Mustang will be my daily driver here for a bit.  Doesnt NECESSARILY warrant a new carburetor, but its a good excuse.

You've asked a loaded question and you'll get a myriad of responses.  I'd stick with either something from AED like J's69Mach1 mentions or Holley.  Quick Fuel carbs have more features for the money, but something about their quality is not as good as AED and even Holley.  I've tried Quick Fuel carb parts but never a complete carb, metering blocks, base plate, throttle shafts.   I've always ended up either throwing it in the garbage or it sits on the shelf.  There's always been something just a little off that cannot be corrected.  I currently have two pairs of Quick Fuel billet metering blocks and one set of their high flow throttle shafts that are sitting on the shelf that I don't want to use.

What's wrong with your current 650 DP carb?  The size is suitable for your motor.  You're not going to improve gas mileage simply by switching to a vacuum secondary carb.  The choke horn is milled off but you can still install an manual choke or electric choke assembly on the side and have a fast idle.  Do you know what the list number is, 4777-X?  If it has some original color still on it and the throttle shaft holes in the base plate are not worn out, I'd do a thorough rebuild and run it.  Especially if it's an older model.  The older carbs for some reason seem to run better in stock calibration than current stuff.

2 hours ago, Cantedvalve said:

@EastYorkStang 

@barnett468   Whatever stock compression is on a 351C 2V... in the 9:1 neighborhood.  Quick Fuel is another one I saw recommendations on as well.  I think I have it down to the Summit or the Quick Fuel 600CFM.  The Summit one is based on a Holley 4010, which is based on the Autolite 4100, so its kinda Ford-ish.  And I have heard good things about them.

The summit carb does not have much adjustability so i would hesitate to use it but i have had many like it. they are cast in china but machined in the us. they used to sell rebuilt ones for around $100.00 less than the retail price and these are better than the new ones.

the base model holley carbs like the street avengers etc are not great, so i would avoid those for sure.  the holley 4150 and 4160 carbs with the adjustable floats are far better.

I sent a cheapo Holly 650 CFM 4bbl to Jetchip and gave them my car's specs and they sent me back an awesome custom carb with annular boosters and flowing 770 CFM.   Really can recommend it.