Mvh0477

Manual Convertible Hold Down Clamps

I have a 69 convertible with a manual top. I have a hold down clamp on one side but the other side is broken. I cannot find any for this year only for years up to 68 which mounts differently. Any idea of how i keep the 69 top down if it is a manual one? 

thanks,
Melinda

good luck on this.  I would try to get the existing parts repaired, but that is probably not possible.  They can be repaired if they are aluminum, but not if they are pot metal steel. So find out what kind of metal they are.  If they are aluminum, you need to find a good heliarc welder, they repair propellers for boats all the time. 

I also wonder if the hold down clamps are the same with a manual or power top.  I do not know why that would make a difference.  You need to find out what the differences are.  I have a 69 vert with a power top, if it helps I can do some measuring.   Look on fleabay for options. 

I drove a '69 for years with the top down and only one hold down clamp.  Gravity did a nice job of keeping the top down.  But my top fit well and laid down nicely in the well.   Sure, it looked better with two clamps but I could not find a replacement and the broken one was pot-metal.

I suppose a top boot might hold it down a bit - that might be an option..  

I'm not sure why but I didn't get any notifications that there were replies to this so sorry for the delayed response. 

Thanks for the suggestions, I cannot find the broken one but here is a pic of the one i have. I did end up purchasing some of the 68 version ones and gonna see if a friend can drill out the rivets and make a bracket to fit my 69.

69 hold down.JPG

On 4/26/2019 at 7:41 PM, Mvh0477 said:

I'm not sure why but I didn't get any notifications that there were replies to this so sorry for the delayed response. 

Thanks for the suggestions, I cannot find the broken one but here is a pic of the one i have. I did end up purchasing some of the 68 version ones and gonna see if a friend can drill out the rivets and make a bracket to fit my 69.

69 hold down.JPG

So the top part looks the same as the 64-68 version. The lower bracket is different

I’m looking for the same thing too. My drivers sine is perfect but the passenger one is broken. I had the piece to put back on the broken one but have misplaced it. 

10 hours ago, Kris said:

I’m looking for the same thing too. My drivers sine is perfect but the passenger one is broken. I had the piece to put back on the broken one but have misplaced it. 

If used parts can't be found, buying the '68 part and modifying seems to be the way to go.

I may have a lead on some of these. There’s a salvage yard near me that has a few 69 cougar convertibles. If they still have them on there I’m going to get some. Will probably be the end of next week before I can make it out there.