edwards54

Looking at new seats options

My 69 fastback is in desperate need of new seats.  I was looking into the option of buying new updated seats to make the drive more enjoyable.  I am looking into a set of Corbeau sport seats but I was wondering if anyone had any advice on another option.  Any opinion would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Bob

Hello

What is the budget ? Cobra has great looking seats but quite pricey , I 've installed cheap Sparco's and very happy with : Not very heavy , easy to install , adjustable backrest and low seating.

Cobra-Misano-Anniversary.jpg

00961NRSKY-Sparco-R100-Vinyl.jpg

IMG_4847.jpg

IMG_4866.jpg

S2000, BMW, Civic, Camaro, Fiero, Fox body, 350Z, Miata, Corvette...all are decent options to consider.  Fab up or get universal brackets and you might be good to go.  I've had seat time in S2000, Miata, Civic and a 95 Z28 and those would all be improvements over the stock seats.  I plan to search my local junk yards or Craigslist when it comes time for replacing the seats.

On 4/11/2019 at 5:55 PM, TexasEd said:

Anyone done the upgrade to TMI Sport or Sport II foam on existing frames?

I have a set and they look great. I found that the seat bottom sat too high for me though. I don't think i'd be able to fit in it (6'2") when wearing a helmet. They've just been collecting dust in my house...

It's  been  common  knowledge that TMI seats  are to tall, that's  their  biggest  complaint.  Another  problem with  high bolster seats  is getting  in and out, not mention if you happen to be  big.  Check out  our seats in  Craig's build.  I designed them off the 94 - 98 Mustang, and they sit no higher than the factory. 

Fiero Seats are pretty much bolt in, just need to extend the rear bolt mount back a tad bit...

Mr. Mikes Fiero seat covers are awesome btw... I found 2 fieros locally, one had a V8 Conversion and both ahd near perfect seats in them and I got guy down to $500 for both cars, but just picked up a 73 Vega and 64 Impala wagon so no room for 2 Fieros

On 4/11/2019 at 4:55 PM, TexasEd said:

Anyone done the upgrade to TMI Sport or Sport II foam on existing frames?

I have custom sport R seat covers in my 70.  TMI was kind enough to make them with black with white stripe and logo delete.  They turned out fantastic.  I am 5', 7 and fit great. in these seats. Yes they are a bit higher than stock. TMI now makes reclining Pro-series Sport R seats complete with low profile mounting brackets.  They look great and worth a call to find out how much lower they.  Not saying there aren't other good options out there but these look great.  

On 5/7/2019 at 1:29 PM, Alan_Mac said:

I have custom sport R seat covers in my 70.  TMI was kind enough to make them with black with white stripe and logo delete.  They turned out fantastic.  I am 5', 7 and fit great. in these seats. Yes they are a bit higher than stock. TMI now makes reclining Pro-series Sport R seats complete with low profile mounting brackets.  They look great and worth a call to find out how much lower they.  Not saying there aren't other good options out there but these look great.  

I have the higher back seats with headrest.  I don't know if they make a Sport R set for my seat.  I don't want to replace the whole seat and frame, just the foam and cover.

Right now I have fiero seats installed. I made simple brackets to move the seats rearward 2-2.5" (can't remember right now) with mustang sliders.

I did this because I'm 6'5. I know that's how far I moved them back because I specifically measured from the front of the back rests (NOT the mounting holes). No the rear seats will not fit a human now. The seats are actually really comfy and I haven't even redone mine.

I also had blown out original seats before, but my fiero setup is definitely lower than before by about 1/2" to 3/4", but this actually made the steering wheel too long a reach even for me. Luckily I had an aftermarket wheel and bought a quick release (added ~2")

Despite all this, when I get around to it I will be making/modding brackets to put Corbeau gtsii seats in. I got them brand new for a steal, they have way higher side bolsters, adjustable lumbar, and have a higher back/neck rest which I like.

As they come, the Corbeaus sit higher than the fiero seats (unsure how much). Corbeau can lower the seat bottoms one inch by cutting the seat foam. The price is reasonable actually, but after shipping cost I may have that done locally.

Lastly, I would have bought those Sparcos in the pics above, but I was concerned they wouldn't be tall enough for my giraffe neck.