bigmal

Issue with running rich

Hi all,

A few months ago I fitted an Aeroflow AF49-1008 electric fuel pump to my 351C. I am running a near new Holley 600. The pump, apart from being incredibly noisy made a big difference to my starting issues.

I had an issue a couple of weeks ago and again yesterday, that when I started it the car was running very rich and as it warmed up became un-driveable.

The pump is rated at 97gph and 7psi. They said a regulator is not needed with the Holley carb. Do I need to add a regulator and lower the pressure or do I have an issue with my carby?

Thanks.

I think you at the threshold of needing a pressure regulator.  I don't see how switching from a mechanical fuel pump to an electric fuel pump solved starting issues?  Unless you are like me, the car is not driven often and sometimes the fuel evaporates from the fuel bowls.  Have you checked the float levels with the electric fuel pump?  With it idling, looking down the carb do you see any fuel dripping off the booster venturies (you shouldn't)?

Is the choke opening correctly and ccompletely?  Maybe you have a separate issue and not related to the fuel pump.

5 minutes ago, 1969_Mach1 said:

I think you at the threshold of needing a pressure regulator.  I don't see how switching from a mechanical fuel pump to an electric fuel pump solved starting issues?  Unless you are like me, the car is not driven often and sometimes the fuel evaporates from the fuel bowls.  Have you checked the float levels with the electric fuel pump?  With it idling, looking down the carb do you see any fuel dripping off the booster venturies (you shouldn't)?

Is the choke opening correctly and ccompletely?  Maybe you have a separate issue and not related to the fuel pump.

My starting issues were after leaving it for more than a week. The engine pump was taking to long to pump and took a lot of cranking.

I haven't done any trouble shooting yet. I ran out of time last night and need to take off the shaker to get access. I will do that this weekend. Unfortunately this is an intermittent problem so I hope it will do it on the weekend. I am suspecting a regulator may be needed. Also considering a different fuel pump as this is too noisy. Maybe I need a louder exhaust.

17 hours ago, bigmal said:

My starting issues were after leaving it for more than a week. The engine pump was taking to long to pump and took a lot of cranking.

I haven't done any trouble shooting yet. I ran out of time last night and need to take off the shaker to get access. I will do that this weekend. Unfortunately this is an intermittent problem so I hope it will do it on the weekend. I am suspecting a regulator may be needed. Also considering a different fuel pump as this is too noisy. Maybe I need a louder exhaust.

I don't have a shaker hood so if the car has been sitting a while I simply remove the air cleaner then use a squeeze bottle and put a little into the fuel bowls through the vent tubes.  Then it starts up quickly.

I ran it today and fuel is dribbling out of the secondaries. I have ordered a regulator to drop the pressure and see if that works.

Is it best to fit the regulator close to the pump (near the tank) of doesn't it matter?

Tough call.  7 psi is marginal.  If it were mine I'd prefer a little less fuel pressure.  And if the carb is more than a year old get a Holley, Quick Fuel or AED brand rebuild kit and freshen it up.  The Quick Fuel and AED brand kits overall seem to come with better quality gaskets and parts than the Holley kits.