ralt962

PS Control Valve Rebuild

I am about to rebuild my Control Valve again.  I read here in forum not to put too much grease in the fitting......after I put too much grease in the fitting.  So it leaked just as you suggested it would.

I'm just looking for any additional sage advice when I rebuild this.  One of our members sent me a great exploded view which will be helpful.  I have a fresh rebuild kit with new seals.

Looking for any further advice.  thanks,

Seems dumb to reply with this, but man... I got nothing.  I had mine done professionally, and it still leaks.  I would like to do a kit again myself, but I have no idea about it.  I would just encourage you to write up the rebuild here because some of the rest of us could use the data.  

PS: By the way, that's a beautiful red you have on your car ;-).  Ford's Ruby red metallic by any chance?  (That's what I put on mine)

It has been a long time since I rebuilt one, but as far as I remember, you install that self locking nut and start the car with front wheels up in the air; slowly tighten the nut (quarter turn at a time) till the steering turns itself, then back the nut off till the steering stops turning by itself. Then put the car down, turn the steering to right and left and feel how it feels, is it quick to provide assist and  easier to turn one side or is it even both sides? If it is even for both left and right turn, you are done and can install the cap/cover. Hopefully someone with a better memory can confirm or correct this. Watch for your arm and hands as the wheels can turn suddenly during adjustment.

On 4/15/2019 at 7:18 AM, JayEstes said:

Seems dumb to reply with this, but man... I got nothing.  I had mine done professionally, and it still leaks.  I would like to do a kit again myself, but I have no idea about it.  I would just encourage you to write up the rebuild here because some of the rest of us could use the data.  

PS: By the way, that's a beautiful red you have on your car ;-).  Ford's Ruby red metallic by any chance?  (That's what I put on mine)

Its actually a PPG Candy Apple Red.  Its supposed to be the original color of the car.  The Ruby red is a great color.  At Ford (worked there for ever) the Ruby red was a very expensive color.  We even had to change the paint facility for better equipment to make it work.  That is a great color.  Almost bought the same wheels you have.  but went for the Magnums.

I did find it on CJ Pony Parts.   Bill has a very good video.  

https://www.cjponyparts.com/power-steering-control-valve-repair-kit-1964-1970/p/CVK/

I did add a small amount of gasket sealer (brown #2) as it looks like the control housing has some imperfections.  Also found the hoses to the slave cylinder were original and had some cracks.  So those are going.  I've rebuilt it and we'll see in a couple of weeks how I did.  This time not too much grease for the ball.

12 hours ago, ralt962 said:

Its actually a PPG Candy Apple Red.  Its supposed to be the original color of the car.  The Ruby red is a great color.  At Ford (worked there for ever) the Ruby red was a very expensive color.  We even had to change the paint facility for better equipment to make it work.  That is a great color.  Almost bought the same wheels you have.  but went for the Magnums.

Believe me brother... It has been 2 1/2 years, and every time I think about the cash I laid out to get that 3stage put on the car, I cringe with pain.  Just the supplies alone were $3K.  I'm happy with it, but damn it - I hope I never need anything re-done.  I bought the wheels I wanted to put on the thing back in high-school but could never afford...Crager SS's.  I still think they are the definition of chrome wheels...  Apologies for the thread hijack - back to regular programming.

Thanks for the link to the rebuild kit!  I will look into that.