Jack Wheeler

Question - Interior Lighting

I am restoring a 1969 Mach1 and am trying to figure out the correct interior lighting.  The car came to me with a gutted interior, so I don't have much of a sample to go on.  I have a new under dash wiring harness and a good wiring diagram, and both have been helpful, but I still have some questions.  The wiring harness has a bulb and receptacle in it for the ignition light, and I found on this site a source for the correct mounting bracket behind the ignition switch.  Other than that, the only obvious leads for interior wiring are for the under dash courtesy lights on either side of the dash.  Did all Mach1's have these lights?  The doors have courtesy lights in them.  Do the leads for the under dash courtesy lights and the in-door courtesy lights come off the same lead in the main wiring harness?  The wiring for the light in the driver's side sail panel comes out of the wiring harness for all of the rear lights, the fuel gauge sending unit, etc.  Where does the wiring for the passenger side sail panel light come from?  Does it come from the same lead as the passenger side and door courtesy lights, or does it come across the trunk from the same wire that feeds the driver's side?  Are the plugs on the ends of these wires available?  If so, where?  (i.e. the 2 wire male/female connectors, the single wire connectors, the 'Y' connector splitting one lead into 2 outgoing wires, etc.)  Any other tips on interior lighting?  Thanks.

Jack Wheeler

36 minutes ago, Jack Wheeler said:

I am restoring a 1969 Mach1 and am trying to figure out the correct interior lighting.  The car came to me with a gutted interior, so I don't have much of a sample to go on.  I have a new under dash wiring harness and a good wiring diagram, and both have been helpful, but I still have some questions.  The wiring harness has a bulb and receptacle in it for the ignition light, and I found on this site a source for the correct mounting bracket behind the ignition switch.  Other than that, the only obvious leads for interior wiring are for the under dash courtesy lights on either side of the dash.  Did all Mach1's have these lights? All 69's came with a 2 wire female bullet on each side for underdash courtesy lights, but that isn't how the underdash courtesy lights work.  There's a pigtail that plugs into the passenger door jamb switch that runs across the underdash and provides spade leads for the two underdash harnesses.

The doors have courtesy lights in them.  Do the leads for the under dash courtesy lights and the in-door courtesy lights come off the same lead in the main wiring harness?  Yes.  They have a male bullet and a female bullet pigtail. 

The wiring for the light in the driver's side sail panel comes out of the wiring harness for all of the rear lights, the fuel gauge sending unit, etc.  Where does the wiring for the passenger side sail panel light come from?  There's a passenger side sail panel harness that plugs into  the 2 wire female bullet and has a female bullet plug nearby for the door lights.   Does it come from the same lead as the passenger side and door courtesy lights, or does it come across the trunk from the same wire that feeds the driver's side?  Are the plugs on the ends of these wires available?  If so, where?  (i.e. the 2 wire male/female connectors, the single wire connectors, the 'Y' connector splitting one lead into 2 outgoing wires, etc.)  Any other tips on interior lighting?  Thanks.

Jack Wheeler

1 hour ago, RandyatBBY said:

Too bad no one answered this, I am in the middle of the same job after crossing something and having a melt down durring testing circuts.

there is a topic in the How To's called a real schematic and u will most likely find your answer there. It is provided my one of our members Mach 1 driver, lot of good stuff there. For some reason my laptop won't open them anymore. Something that I've probably screwed up.

2 hours ago, RandyatBBY said:

Too bad no one answered this, I am in the middle of the same job after crossing something and having a melt down durring testing circuts.

Pretty sure Midlife answered it. It's the highlighted print in the original quote. 

8 hours ago, RandyatBBY said:

This site has been down so many times that the things saved to the site don't always work. You can get the factory wire diagram that shows how everything is wired, and my schematic will show how it works. For both go to my Google drive and download anything you like:  

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/10FqYlsGT1XXr8B5TCF9WAASkU4vdPtuJ?usp=sharing

6 hours ago, det0326 said:

there is a topic in the How To's called a real schematic and u will most likely find your answer there. It is provided my one of our members Mach 1 driver, lot of good stuff there. For some reason my laptop won't open them anymore. Something that I've probably screwed up.

Dave, see my post above ^^^