Sign in to follow this  
Cantedvalve

Rheostat on headlight switch - care to guess the values?

So I was cleaning up and restoring the rheostat on my headlight switch (took it apart, cleaned the contacts, relubed it).  I then tested it at both ends to see what the value was.  Obviously when the switch is rotated to interior light position, its brightest setting, it has no real resistance, so let's call that 0.  Anyone care to guess what it was at the dimmest setting?

(This is me, asking what it is supposed to be, because I got 12 ohms).

Side note, my solid state CVR (constant voltage regulator for those who Google this later) puts out a very solid 5.00V from a 12V source (not the stepped down resistor wire voltage).  So the question presents itself... do I need the resistor wire, or can I run a new one from the accessory post to the voltage regulator?

I need to be careful... soon I'll be rewiring the whole dash area!

I did my headlight switch a while ago to correct voltage drops through it.  Especially the circuit breaker points.  I found cleaning the rheostat did help with gaps of dash lighting when rotated. Unfortunately I inspected it under power to verify its operation. I also pulled the cluster and cleaned all connections , sockets and replaced the bulbs. Glued a couple fingers on the pc too.

24 minutes ago, Cantedvalve said:

Side note, my solid state CVR (constant voltage regulator for those who Google this later) puts out a very solid 5.00V from a 12V source (not the stepped down resistor wire voltage).  So the question presents itself... do I need the resistor wire, or can I run a new one from the accessory post to the voltage regulator?

I need to be careful... soon I'll be rewiring the whole dash area!

Good question.  The best that I can tell, if the CVR sticks closed (to ground), then you'll burn up a non-resistor wire in a heartbeat.  That's about the only reason for the resistor wire, other than to smooth out fluctuations of the CVR output (dubious proposition at best...)

My rheostat doesnt have any corrosion.  I checked it again over lunch because I thought maybe I was reading voltage (I had a 12v source hooked up to it at one point).  Nope.  12 ohms.  That is between the R terminal and the I terminal when turned all the way down.  Funny thing... when I go through the B terminal to the I terminal, I get 15 ohms... the difference being the internal breaker.  I hadnt planned to do anything on the inside of the switch, but if someone tells me that 3 ohms is too much, I will.