Her69fastback

Ignition kill switch with key

On 3/23/2019 at 7:44 AM, Mach1 Driver said:

Its a 69 Mach1 with an FMX. I mounted a switch on the shifter linkage to operate when the button is pushed to change gears. That goes though the kill switch (so it can be disabled) and (you guessed it) to a solenoid that locks it in park. If the kill switch is open the solenoid isn't energized and it can't be moved out of park. It looks and operates as if its stock. You can hear a little click when you press the shift button. I imagine it could be done to most automatic linkages. I made the modification long ago before digital cameras so sorry, there are no pictures, but as part of the documentation process I'll definitely take pictures when I tear her down for restoration.

That sounds interesting. I would love to see the solenoid that locks it in park.  An electronic version of what the 1970 model had.  Definitely get photos and show how it is done. 

13 hours ago, danno said:

That sounds interesting. I would love to see the solenoid that locks it in park.  An electronic version of what the 1970 model had.  Definitely get photos and show how it is done. 

I wasn't aware that the 70 had that feature. Restoration time is rolling around- I'll share pictures then.

On ‎3‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 9:25 PM, Mach1 Driver said:

I wasn't aware that the 70 had that feature. Restoration time is rolling around- I'll share pictures then.

In 1970 the key locks the steering wheel, and I thought it also locked the tranny. Maybe not?   When did the key switch start locking the tranny as well?   Maybe later?

9 minutes ago, Grabber70Mach said:

70 was the first year with a lockout for automatic transmissions.  It's a rod that goes from the steering column to the transmission. 

There was a lock-out rod for the 1970 4-Speed too … had to be in reverse (IIRC) to be able to remove the key.   I'd guess the base 3-Speed likely had the lock-out rod too, but can't say for sure.

Doug

12 hours ago, TinMan said:

It's rare that I leave mine unattended, like at a store. When I do, the distributor rotor goes in my pocket. Only take a few seconds.

There is a difference in what the cars are used for.  Mine is sort of a daily driver.  To the store, to work, etc.  Your option would not work for us when you would have to take it off and put it back on 4 or 5 times a day.   We need something simple yet effective.  This thread has provided great suggestions. 

20 hours ago, TinMan said:

It's rare that I leave mine unattended, like at a store. When I do, the distributor rotor goes in my pocket. Only take a few seconds.

Back in the late 70's & through the 80's I had a 1968 GT Coupe that was my daily driver & I did the same thing, remove the dist rotor to prevent it from being stolen.

Biggest issue with a switch is you have to hide it. That's tough. Usually people put it somewhere you can access from the driver seat.  If they're gonna steal it, they'll probably find it. Things I've done in the past...

Replace dash board switch with kill switch. In my Jeeps i used to use the fog light switch for the kill switch.

I've linked several toggles together to make a combination. So many have to be "up" and so many have to be "down" in a pattern. If someone wants it they'll figure it out.

I've put them in the trunk, where you have to open the trunk to enable, disable.

If fuel injected, i like to do the fuel pump. Likely it will fire, but not for long. No real danger of hurting a computer either.

YMMV