maleah

Brake suggestions

Looking to replace stock set up with disks in the front and shoes in the back.  Any suggestions on replacements to upgrade from stock?  Im using the car now in the spring/summer/fall for shows, rides and general driving fun.   Im going to keep the non power disk set up and keep the shoes in the back.  Thanks!

Mustang Steve brackets for late model Mustang set-up or the KH types sold by John at Opentracker. I have the late models discs on my 70 and the KH type on my 66. Both would work great for your application. 

I installed the CSRP 4 cylinder power kit on my original spindles.  If I can do it anyone can.  It would definitely be easier with the engine out but I did mine with it in.

20180311_215213_zpsrcutj8tj.jpg

20180909_153841_zpstxwbyepi.jpg

70+ spindles and MustangSteve brackets. 94-04 Cobra 13” discs and calipers.  Cobra discs in rear too.  I fabbed up some universal style braided stainless flexible lines and adapted to stock hard lines.  Manual master.  No road time yet, may end up going power booster once I get some drive time in.

Really, true story. With the Booster Dewey rebuilt Midland power booster, I could only make 15 bars of vacuum and 925 psi at the caliper. When I removed the booster and installed the manual brake pedal, I had 2001 Cobra 13" rotors and the PBR calipers. I now have 14.2" rotors and 4 piston 2014 Mustang GT Brembo calipers. Both the 13 and 14" combos worked well with a Dorman M39953 1" bore master cylinder. 

How does the pedal feel?  How does it stop?  I like the simplicity of manual brakes a lot just don’t have any experience to pull from short of a full drum setup on Grandaddy’s old 72 F100.  Wish I still had that truck...

On 3/14/2019 at 5:55 PM, TexasEd said:

I installed the CSRP 4 cylinder power kit on my original spindles.  If I can do it anyone can.  It would definitely be easier with the engine out but I did mine with it in.

20180311_215213_zpsrcutj8tj.jpg

20180909_153841_zpstxwbyepi.jpg

Ed, Marble Falls is a short road trip from Austin, did you drive down and pick the parts up? Also, did you purchase your kit with the booster or did you use your own?  

On 4/5/2019 at 7:09 AM, Machspeed said:

Ed, Marble Falls is a short road trip from Austin, did you drive down and pick the parts up? Also, did you purchase your kit with the booster or did you use your own?  

Yes I drove and I bought the complete kit with the booster.  There were times I wished I was staying manual like when I had to replace the pedal and when I had to rehook the brake lines.

I installed the same kit as TexasEd from CSRP, the 4 piston K/H type calipers mounted on the stock drum brake spindles with brake booster. I installed mine with the engine out.

85749-100-1086-a.jpg

85748-100-1084-a.jpg

85750-100-1265-a.jpg