Sign in to follow this  
Jack Wheeler

Wiring Harness Questions

I am about to install a new main wiring harness behind the dash of a 1969 Mach1 and have a couple of questions.

1.  There is a triangular shaped bracket which attaches the lower dash (2 bolts) to the firewall (1 bolt).  It is located right above the steering column and appears to help support the steering column.  My question is, on which side of this bracket does the main wiring harness go, toward the driver, or toward the firewall?

2.  This car had a roll cage installed for drag racing and one of the bars came down right where the dimmer switch was located.  Therefore, the mounting location for the dimmer switch is gone.  When the roll cage was cut out, they welded a plate to the floor to cover the area impacted by the roll cage.  Therefore, all I have is a flat floor.  What I need to know is the exact location of the dimmer switch?  Could someone measure for me the distance from the body where the kick panel attaches on the side to the center of the dimmer switch (should be a couple of inches)?  Also, I need to know the distance from the raised section of the floor (on which the seats fit) to the center of the dimmer switch (this will be about 2 feet).  See picture of the location where the switch will go.  And finally, what is the orientation of the mounting surface of the dimmer switch, i.e. is it parallel with the body of the car, perpendicular to it, or something in between?

Thanks so much for your help.

Jack Wheeler

dimmer switch location.JPG

Thanks, Brian.  I am missing the piece you mentioned.  I have the dimmer switch and the wires and plug, but not the piece that sits underneath it.  Would you happen to have one you would be willing to sell, or know where I might be able to find one?  Does it just use 2 sheet metal type screws to attach it to the floor, or is there some type of welded or captured nut underneath the floor, which the screws go into?  Then the black plastic piece you mentioned is held in place by the same screws which hold the switch?  I assume the black tubular piece right behind the dimmer switch (in your picture) is for the emergency brake, correct?  The picture is a big help.  Thanks.

Couple of pictures of wire harness's either side of the steering column.  Not clear what your after but the pics may provide some direction ?  Don't have a extra retainer nor do I know where to locate one ?  I believe the assembly does screw directly to the floor/sheetmetal.  Seems the switch can be mounted two ways ?  One is the way shown and the other with the plug approaching from the kick panel area. Yes the parking brake cable is above the dimmer in the picture. Some of the other guys have dealt with the switch location and may have the measurements. Brian

69 Pedal Support 7.JPG

69 Clutch Pedal Bumper Installed 3.JPG

I don’t have any pics of mine but I’m pretty sure the harness you speak of goes on the drivers side of the bracket. It also has a good sized plastic shield wrapped around it , right at the bracket and bolts to it with 2 bolts iirc. That’s a stolen pic from the web

67566730-C3ED-4918-B912-B1516CCC210B.png