stangme428

Remote Mirror for 69 Mustang

Its been a minute since i have posted... but.. 

I am looking for a driver and passenger side solution for remote mirrors.  My 69 has factory sport mirrors, but the vibration has always been a problem.  Does anyone know of an aftermarket mirror that will work in place of the stock sport mirror(s) and allow for adjustment, either mechanical or electronic... and i don't mind modifying what i have.... as long as the vibration is significantly reduced. 

thanks for your input!

+1 on the Torino mirrors if you want remote passenger control. There's a few threads about those out there. That won't solve the vibration problem, though - I get it too at certain times, when my speed and RPMs align just right - the mirrors are a blur.  Not sure what can be done for that. You could look at modern mirrors but I think the unique profile of our doors can be a problem when it comes to transplanting just any mirror.

Have you thought about just calling the guy in the Chevy on your cell phone and asking him what's back there?

I remember seeing a post with someone fitting early 80's RX-7 electric mirrors. I haven't been able to find it again but it's something I have been considering. I have been keeping my eye out at the wreckers but no good yet.

I'm nearing the end of my SN95 mustang electric mirror conversion.  Passenger side is almost complete, with the drivers still to be started.  Once I get it wrapped up I'll take a few pics. The issue with the passenger mirrors is they are only mounted with one screw at the bottom, so vibration will almost always be an issue as the mount will flex.  I had to epoxy two bent tabs to the roof of the mirror housing, with a metal plate bolted to those two tabs and the bottom mount that was ground down further back (due to the thicker electric motor).  I'm hoping the 3-point mount with a rigid plate mount will eliminate the flex issues of the passenger mirror. 

On 6/7/2019 at 7:01 AM, bigmal said:

I remember seeing a post with someone fitting early 80's RX-7 electric mirrors. I haven't been able to find it again but it's something I have been considering. I have been keeping my eye out at the wreckers but no good yet.

Mazda rx7 s2
Brisbane, QLD · over a week ago · Bigmal saw this on facebook just now car is being wrecked had mirrors on it in photo ,may still have them? 

You  might be able to fix the shake by installing a stiffner plate under the mirror inside the door. My car did not come with the factory side mirror, so  I installed a plate on the inside of the door that the mirror bolts to. The plate as a good size surface area and mostly  conforms to the contour of the inside of the door.  Some JB weld  glue filled the places where it did not perfectly conform.

On 6/5/2019 at 9:59 PM, ralt962 said:

I was searching for this exact fix.  Thanks RPM for pointing toward WCCC.  They always have good videos.

here is the link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PQw_J52CU0

I'm going to give this a try.

I did purchase just the mirror glass and followed the video from WCCC.  I has worked our great.  I was able to significantly tighten up the loose mirror.  We'll see how it works over time but this was a well done suggestion and did save me a few dollars.  For $17 to buy the mirror this was a great idea.

Along similar lines, I need to take apart my driver's side mirror for paint. What is the best way to take this thing apart? I'm okay with breaking the mirror (glass) to access the individual cable  prongs, if need be. The the remote end looks like a real pain.     

2 hours ago, Machspeed said:

Along similar lines, I need to take apart my driver's side mirror for paint. What is the best way to take this thing apart? I'm okay with breaking the mirror (glass) to access the individual cable  prongs, if need be. The the remote end looks like a real pain.     

The cable ends are crimped, you might be able to spread the crimp and remove the cables but chances of breaking the pot metal while spreading and closing afterwards is very high. What I did to paint the driver side mirror was; remove the screws that attach the mirror and the base. Found 2 very long screws 8-10 inches long (took them out of an old starter for a different vehicle). Sandwiched the screws between the base and the housing so base was secured to housing but with an 8 inch gap (used pieces of 8 inches long about 1/4 inch dia tubes I had in my junk pile between the base and housing on the screw). Masked the mirror and cable. Painted the housing and base at the same time.