Sign in to follow this  
Jack Wheeler

More help needed - Back-Up light Switch

With the help of Sunndogg and others, I have acquired the bracket which holds the back-up light switch on the '69 Mach1 I am working on.  I'm using the original switch.  However, when I shift the transmission into neutral, the part of the shift linkage which is supposed to push the button in on the back-up light switch, does not quite tough the button.  It lacks about 1/16" (picture attached).  OK, what do I do now?  Is there an adjustment in the linkage mechanism, which will change the position of this linkage piece, Or do I have to modify the bracket, or weld a small piece on the shift linkage where it comes in contact with the switch?  As before, thanks very much for all the help I have gotten on this.

Jack Wheeler

Back-Up Light Switch1.JPG

Back-Up Light Switch2.JPG

You mentioned “when shifted into neutral”. It doesn’t have a neutral feature, it’s only for reverse lights. Only the automatics had the neutral safety feature. If the trans is in reverse in your pics, I think I might try just putting a vacuum cap or similar piece over button that would effectively make the button a little longer and maybe turn the reverse lights on.  Also, it seems like I remember maybe the 1st 3rd shifter stops can be adjusted to deep into shifter causing reverse to not fully shift. Just throwing out a couple ideas to check.