Jump to content
Vicfreg

Major Forum Technical Issues (Pictures)

Recommended Posts

As many of you have probably realized, the pictures I have posted, and many of you have posted over the years have been deleted.   I have appealed to the site administrator for a resolution to this, with no real solution proposed.

I ask you to check your own build/technical/other threads and see if you have suffered the same issue.

I have spent countless hours posting pictures with my notes and ideas for other forum members to share.

Now, all the words without the pictures are pretty much useless.

Perhaps some of our members who are IT/computer/server/webpage savvy can help keep this forum alive.

You can reply to me, but I can't fix the technology issues.

Thanks

Vic

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This forum used to have a monthly goal of like 10 or 12 bucks to help support the upkeep. The newer format doesn't offer that option. If money is needed to buy more bandwidth, I'm sure members would continue to support the cause.

Other car sites I visit still do this type of fundraising without having to delete a critical part of any car site. 

I don't get it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I too lost many pictures, but feel that we all have the knowledge and willingness to share if someone was to post a question. Our smart phones all have cameras too, that I will gladly go out and snap pictures to share if I cant provide positive input

This site is by far the best that is out there, in regards to Mustangs,  usually getting multiple responses to any type of questions in a few hours. the guys on the forum aren't smart asses or make crude comments on someone's lack of knowledge. I posted many questions on other sites/forums regarding the 82 Stang and truck projects I've had, with nothing for days, weeks, or none at all

This site is also free

To post pictures on this site, they had to be downloaded from your personal files. So I would assume, if you don't have the pictures you posted, then I would also assume that person didn't take the steps to protect their own files.

You Tube, the best place to save pictures and videos and someone else's servers expense. all you need to do is share the link 

Hats off and many thanks to the guys who have created, tweaked, managed, and maintained this site. No complaints here!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes all my photos from the Project Progress Forum have gone. Maybe it’s time to abandon this section if people’s photos are going to be deleted from time to time.  I also understand why this happens and thankful that we have admins that look after the site . Just no point having this section of our forum if there’s no pics . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Per bswor on Feb 2:

“Due to bandwidth issues the gallery has been disabled.  Please find other hosting options for your images.  If you need to get your images from the gallery let me know and I can re-enable it for a few days so you can download them and move them elsewhere.”

Vic and others -

Are you able to download the images and move them elsewhere?

Nate

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

mine are still there because I hosted on 3rd party site and hotlinked them to this site.  I used Photobucket but even that site is bad for reliability and cutting features.  I think a lot of people use imagur or  other sites now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have used flickr to host my pictures. They give you space for 1000 pictures for free. After that you have to buy Pro membership. My bulid thread is 6 years old and 19 pages long. I just had to get Pro at new years, so it will last a long time until you have to get Pro. And Pro was ok priced, you do get discounts at a lot of webshops for camera and picture stuff. They also have an app, so you can upload pictures directly from the phone. Easy to use. Drag-and-drop uploading in the web browser.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎2‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 10:33 AM, RPM said:

This forum used to have a monthly goal of like 10 or 12 bucks to help support the upkeep. The newer format doesn't offer that option. If money is needed to buy more bandwidth, I'm sure members would continue to support the cause.

Other car sites I visit still do this type of fundraising without having to delete a critical part of any car site. 

I don't get it. 

I'd be happy to contribute if that would solve the problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Something similar on the Pinto site I am on.

Been down for almost 2 weeks, just came back up today.

This is a partial quote of what is going on there.

"Site was down due to overuse of server resources again. We are close to having to upgrade to a full virtual private host. Our database is now 20 years old (very large) and contains much knowledge that is still relevant to all our cars. I cannot pair down the database so we must move. "

Don't know if this site is already on a vph or not. If not, maybe something to look into? But while losing the pictures sucks, losing this site would suck way worse. IMHO.

Russ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This may help. Since disk space costs money, we could lower the burden on this forum by using a separate picture hosting site. Currently one of the most popular FREE sites is Imgur. You upload your pictures there and copy the image address here and the picture appears in your post. Now it is free and there is no guarantee that it will remain that way forever, but I have had pictures over there for 8 months now and they remain available for whatever forum I choose to use them on. 

Here is a quick tutorial:

1. Go to Imgur.com

2. On the top right of the page is a green button that says "Sign Up", click it.

3. Give a password and email address and you are ready to add pictures.

4. To add pics: near the top left is a green button that says " New Post", click it, then click "Browse", then click "Open". Insert the picture.

5. Left click on the picture, click on "BBcode copy".

6. Then in your post on 69Stang  right click paste, and your picture appears as below.

Kc4YB0M.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mach1 Driver said:

This may help. Since disk space costs money, we could lower the burden on this forum by using a separate picture hosting site. Currently one of the most popular FREE sites is Imgur. You upload your pictures there and copy the image address here and the picture appears in your post. Now it is free and there is no guarantee that it will remain that way forever, but I have had pictures over there for 8 months now and they remain available for whatever forum I choose to use them on. 

Here is a quick tutorial:

1. Go to Imgur.com

2. On the top right of the page is a green button that says "Sign Up", click it.

3. Give a password and email address and you are ready to add pictures.

4. To add pics: near the top left is a green button that says " New Post", click it, then click "Browse", then click "Open". Insert the picture.

5. Left click on the picture, click on "BBcode copy".

6. Then in your post on 69Stang  right click paste, and your picture appears as below.

Kc4YB0M.jpg

 

Good input but thinking it's temp and will go the same way as photo bucket. 

I'm one of those whom lost some pics in my build thread. However, I don't find my build thread to be as knowledge packed as others. Still, I want to post on my build. We have a half dozen or so build threads on here that I think are of absolute importance and would hate to see them loose anymore pictures. Those threads bring people to this site seeking out wisdom and "how to" info. Some use the site, in part, for advertising their business's.  If money is a fix, can we not just take up a small collection from the regulars, or maybe just those posting in the build threads. I would gladly contribute. How much do we need on a yearly basis? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Machspeed said:

Good input but thinking it's temp and will go the same way as photo bucket. 

I'm one of those whom lost some pics in my build thread. However, I don't find my build thread to be as knowledge packed as others. Still, I want to post on my build. We have a half dozen or so build threads on here that I think are of absolute importance and would hate to see them loose anymore pictures. Those threads bring people to this site seeking out wisdom and "how to" info. Some use the site, in part, for advertising their business's.  If money is a fix, can we not just take up a small collection from the regulars, or maybe just those posting in the build threads. I would gladly contribute. How much do we need on a yearly basis? 

 

Yeah I get that. It would be a tragedy to loose a build like BuckeyeDemon's. I sent him a message asking where his pictures are held. I vaguely remember him saying it was on a paying site. If so I may use the same service- when I get something valuable enough to protect.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Mach1 Driver said:

Yeah I get that. It would be a tragedy to loose a build like BuckeyeDemon's. I sent him a message asking where his pictures are held. I vaguely remember him saying it was on a paying site. If so I may use the same service- when I get something valuable enough to protect.

IIRC BuckeyeDemon's pics are hosted on Photobucket where I have mine. All the pics I posted in my build where on photobucket &  alot of them still went away.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Mike65 said:

IIRC BuckeyeDemon's pics are hosted on Photobucket where I have mine. All the pics I posted in my build where on photobucket &  alot of them still went away.

FYI, BuckeyeDemon reports that in the past he used Photobucket but now uses Postimage.org. Edit: I looked through his massive 55 page build thread and found that the images up to page 53 say they are hosted by Photobucket, and later photos have no hosting identifier. Since you use it, you know that Photobucket is not free and has pricing ranging from $4.03 to $11.48/mo. Why would the URL link be deleted from your build thread?? That makes no sense. The link is like 4 bits per character, so way less than 100 bytes- not even close to 1kB, so deleting the link would save virtually nothing. There used to be a comic strip called SysAdmin from Hell. He doesn't like you. 

Postimage is free but apparently you can pay to post larger pictures: images are limited to 12Mb and 10k x 10k pixels. Premium accounts are limited to 24Mb and 10k x 10k pixels.

They claim that your pictures will never disappear because of inactivity. Here is their "About" statement:

About Postimage

Postimage was founded in 2004 to provide message boards with an easy way to upload images for free. Postimage is a very simple, fast and reliable free image service. It's perfect for linking to auctions, message boards, blogs and other websites. Postimage guarantees maximum uptime and performance so that your image will be here whenever you need it. There is no registration or login; all you have to do is submit your picture. With continuous upgrades and dedicated staff Postimage is the #1 solution for Free Image Hosting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×