TexasEd

How did you decide what to insure for?

I'm finally to the point of thinking about Insurance and registration. :D

My car is not a 302 Fastback with bad paint but is pretty much stock.  When I look around I see prices all over the place and don't know what to insure for.  Cars with nice paint and a pristine interior seem to be running 25-30K.  Does that sound right?  I guess I'd knock off for my car's condition but don't want to pay too high of premiums or under insure.

Thoughts?

2 minutes ago, Midlife said:

Figure what it would cost to replace the car (i.e. how much is would cost if you had to buy a replacement in similar condition) and add 25%. 

I never see any that are in my car's condition for sale.  They are either coupes and are customized or they look like everything is done on them.   I'm thinking of going with $24K agreed value.

7 hours ago, TexasEd said:

I never see any that are in my car's condition for sale.  They are either coupes and are customized or they look like everything is done on them.   I'm thinking of going with $24K agreed value.

insure it for 65k like i did all my cars. you can't replace those cars for 24k, I have 25k already into my mach1 and its nowhere near done.

Take the highest number you think will work for you.  The difference in premiums is really minimal if you go with a classic car insurer.  Don't use State Farm or another mainstream auto insurance company.

I have my '68 coupe insured for $40k.  My '70 convertible will be insured for $75k

A gallon of paint and one bodywork/painter for 8 hours will cost $2500.  Think about it