Trinitys

69 351w with reverse rotation water pump

Ok I’m building a 69 351w and have an issue. The brackets and pulleys I’m wanting are March ultra knock offs from eBay. It requires a reverse rotation water pump which is fine. 

First question is about the timing pointer and damper/Hormuz balancer.since factory the pointer is on the drivers side, this will have to have the pointer on the passenger side. Worried it won’t have timing marks where I need. 

Second question is about the timing chain cover. I imagine I need the reserve rotation cover? Can you guys confirm that. 

Pic attaced  Ed is one I found on line. 

84F5CF18-A8B4-4678-901B-E541F63D2A61.png

AC4FF332-E994-451A-8489-752EB0CE447D.png

14DFC89E-D55D-48D1-BD61-79A756EAE63E.png

Yes you need a timing cover to work with a reverse rotation water pump.  As far as the timing pointer, I am not certain. 1969 and older had a pointer on the drivers side and a lower radiator hose on the passenger side.  1970 and newer had the timing pointer on the passenger side and the lower radiator hose on the drivers side.  I imagine your timing pointer will be on the passenger side.  You need the correct harmonic balancer to work with that as well, 1970 and newer and it will have 4 bolts for the pulley to attach.  The 1969 and older balancer has 3 bolts for the pulley to attach.

unless you are after the custom look of the aluminum pulleys and all, this may not be for you but the F150 and bronco 351w late 80's and early 90's  brackets and serpentine  set up works good and fits under the hood.  You may have to get an aftermarket timing chain cover tho that has the manual fuel pump mount. Seems I remember that some of the earlier covers may have the boss for the fuel pump but are not machined. You will have to change radiators to with the drivers side lower hose because I don't think you will find a rev rotation water pump  with passenger side lower hose. 

Have you looked at CVF? They're much less money than March, American made, and quality pieces. However, they are more than what you posted. 

https://www.cvfracing.com/ford/ford-289-302-351w-small-block/v-belt-pulley-systems/?gclid=Cj0KCQiA14TjBRD_ARIsAOCmO9YuVC4xUcXYLCJHqNmzcPDKbobefLzi4jIQDmsbCDv4PI73BOGaaXwaAmedEALw_wcB

I have a '69 vintage Windsor with a reverse rotation water pump and CVF pulley system.

I originally got a Ford Motorsport high performance pump, but later got myself an Edelbrock pump, which is a much better engineered piece.

You will need to use the 1970 radiator hose locations (drivers side lower, pass side upper).

I kept the passenger side timing pointer, and it is nearly impossible to see.  I timed my engine on the test stand, where I could see my timing tape.

Also used the Ford Motorsport steel harmonic balancer with the proper spacer to align with the accessories and water pump.

Highly recommend the CVF stuff.  Great price, made in the US.  

I will find my pics and post them.

In the last picture, I have the power steering pump bypassed, so I can run the engine on the test stand.  So, the idler pulley is missing in this picture.   I decided to use the GM power steering pump, which is the same setup I have on my '68 Coupe.  I don't want to start another Borgeson thread, but I am happy with mine.   

I also have a mechanical fuel pump, which means that I am running the old style timing cover.   The CVF upper strut rod on the passenger side will hit your stock thermostat housing, so you will need to use a late model 90 degree one from a 5.0.   I needed the extra temperature sensor anyway.  

I know I have a picture of my timing pointer somewhere, so when I find it, I will post it.

Yes, that's correct.  I wanted to use the mechanical fuel pump, so I have the original timing chain cover installed.  

I have attached pics of my original set up, which was a standard rotation water pump with the stock thermostat housing.  Kept the same timing cover when I switched to the reverse rotation pump.

IMG_0631.JPG

IMG_0633.JPG

You may be fine using the stock timing cover but they are different from the timing covers with rev rotation pumps. the ports in the timing cover is machined at a different angle. May be worth checking out would be ashame  for that nice looking engine to have a cooling problem. 

You are correct. This is why I did not use the  Ford motor sport water pump, and went to an Edelbrock high flow pump. 

I ran the engine on the test stand in North Carolina in the summer and I appear to have plenty of cooling  with 2-12”  Maradyne NASCAR fans, PWM controller, and aluminum radiator

Regarding the Edelbrock water pumps, I installed one many years ago.  They are nice, well made, nice finish.  But I learned at least in my case, the water pump seal doesn't last very long.  I got maybe a year out of it.  I guess I could have shipped it back to Edelbrock and got it repaired.  But I didn't think I should have to go through that hassle after spending more than it's worth to begin with.  So, I threw it in the garbage can.  I won't spend that kind of money on another one.

Has anyone seen a serpentine setup for the 351W that eliminates the power steering pump?

The 89 engine I have has the pump, but I don't need it (unless I decide to go with a hydroboost brake setup, unlikely at this point).

I'm thinking of mounting some sort of pulley where the pump goes, but I'd rather be able to eliminate it all together.

Thanks,

Russ

I am going to be running an alternator only using the stock serpentine alternator pulley on a 1 wire alternator, stock water pump pulley, & crank pulley from a 1987 C/V 5.0