Machspeed

Rust Repair, Lower Rear QTR Panel?

Hey friends, want your advise on fixing some rust damage in the lower rear qtr panel of my 69 Mach. I've replaced the aprons and radiator support bracket on my car without reservation, but body panels scare me. It's not the welding, as I'm a competent welder, rather the fact that it is an exposed panel and I'm a dang perfectionist who's never happy with his work. Moreover, I have no experience with this kind of work. Anyway, pictured is the area that is rust damaged. I've also included a picture of the repair panel I've ordered. The damage is pretty much isolated to that small little area, as I can see it from the trunk. How much of this repair panel would you use and would you take it above the body line? Be advised, I wish to butt weld this panel in, no flange stuff.   

Thanks!!!

P1030286.JPG

IMG_1928.JPG

IMG_1929.JPG

I would cut the rusted area out till I get to good metal first. Then see how much of the patch panel I need. Those patch panels do not have the edges/lines as sharp as the original panels. I found that the complete skins have sharper edges/lines and match to original better even though they are a tad thinner. You can make the edges sharper on the patch panels if you spend some time with hammer and dolly (and some other equipment) or pay a little more and get the bigger quarter panel and cut what you need from that. You will spend a little more $ on a quarter skin but save time and frustration on fixing the edges/lines on that lower patch panel. One other advantage of the quarter skin, you will end up with a bigger left over with a lot of different curves which comes handy to use while fixing other areas like door corners etc.

These panels are not stamped exactly correct so some banging around is needed ,i have done a few though and they usually work out good . I but weld them ,using a body saw i cut the bottom off the quarter below where the patch will end ,then over lap the patch pannel and clamp in place ,then i cut through the patch and the remaining lip of the over hung quarter with my body saw tack welding every inch as i go ,then go back and stitch weld between the tack welds cooling each tack with air as i go . 

I had rust outs in front & in the rear of both rear wheels & some hidden damage (covered by bondo) on the l/s quarter. I used 2 quarter panel skins & I am happy with the results, the lines are a very good match to the doors one which is a new shell & one has a new skin. I also had to replace both sides outer wheel houses before replacing the quarter skins.

100_1152_zpsad7rse78.jpg

Thanks fellas, after reading your responses and watching Kevin Tetz replace a patch panel on a 70 Mach, think I have this figured out. Small patch for me. 

9 hours ago, Mike65 said:

I had rust outs in front & in the rear of both rear wheels & some hidden damage (covered by bondo) on the l/s quarter. I used 2 quarter panel skins & I am happy with the results, the lines are a very good match to the doors one which is a new shell & one has a new skin. I also had to replace both sides outer wheel houses before replacing the quarter skins.

100_1152_zpsad7rse78.jpg

Mike, you did a great job there. Those panels appear to line up perfectly. Curious, was that car previously a vinyl top car? If so, are you going back with the vinyl top? 

9 hours ago, Machspeed said:

Thanks fellas, after reading your responses and watching Kevin Tetz replace a patch panel on a 70 Mach, think I have this figured out. Small patch for me. 

Mike, you did a great job there. Those panels appear to line up perfectly. Curious, was that car previously a vinyl top car? If so, are you going back with the vinyl top? 

Thanks Machspeed, I had to rework the lower front section of the quarter skin where it meets the rocker panel because it was a little longer then the stock skin making the line on the quarter to not line up with the door line. Yes my Coupe was a vinyl top car & at this point I am still debating whether or not to put the vinyl top back on. The front part of the roof right above the front windshield has some dents in it like the hood flew up at one point & hit the roof. It had a lot of filler on it when I stripped the paint off, & if I can get it smooth I will  leave the vinyl top off, if I can not get it to how I want it the vinyl top will go back on.