Machspeed

Rocker Panel Molding And Clips

Prepping my Mach for paint strip and eventual paint. I have removed everything with the exception of the rocker panel molding clips, which are original to the car. I have read that these are either pop riveted or put in with welded in studs like the medallions on the B pillar, the ladder of which I think is bunk. Photo shows mine, which are clearly pop riveted in. My rocker moldings are in good shape and I will likely be reusing them. That said, those of you whom have removed the molding clips, did you reuse them or did you source out repops? More importantly, when you drill out the rivet head, how do you remove the remaining rivet? I don't want these things rattling around in my lower rockers.        

IMG_1927.JPG

Went through this a few months ago. I just drilled the head of the rivet and pushed the shank inside. hopefully the shanks will find their way out through the drains on the bottom of the rockers eventually. I do not think you can hear them rattling as they are aluminum and small. I had a few missing clips and missing one side molding, so I used the clips and rivets that came with the repro molding kit. The repro clips worked okay on repro moldings; you have to make sure that the clips are horizontal, if not perfectly horizontal (and parallel to the molding) they do not grab good. Had to turn couple of them a little after I put the molding on. The clip on your photo looks a little worn out, so it may not grab the molding good. On a side note, had to relocate the hole at the back of the molding on one side as it did not align good. Also had to reshape the forward ends of the moldings to match the curvature of the fender and used big washers cut and shaped to fit and hold the front stud on the molding, the studs that came with the molding did not work right.