Machspeed

Taillight Panel Question

I've decided to change out the taillight panel on my 69 Mach with a quality repop from NPD. Was wondering if I should go ahead and purchase the panel brace and the two smaller inner trunk bracket braces? Not sure if I will destroy these parts during the removal of the tail panel.  

When I replaced the tail light panel on my 69 Coupe I had to replace the panel behind it (which is the rear gas tank brace) because it got damaged while removing the tail light panel

100_0297.jpg

18 hours ago, Ridge Runner said:

Use the ford or Dynacorn panel ,they are both nice tail panels

Thanks Ridge, but I ordered the new tooled panel from NPD. Read some reviews on the Dynacorn panel, one guy stating he was on his third panel. Said they were poorly done in the cut outs for the lights. There were some good reviews, but mostly negative. Wished I could see this stuff before I ordered. That NPD panel is twice the cost of the other panels.   

BTW, wasn't there an issue with the filler tube not fitting correctly in the tail panel? Seems I recall reading that somewhere?

25 minutes ago, Mike65 said:

When I replaced the tail light panel on my 69 Coupe I had to replace the panel behind it (which is the rear gas tank brace) because it got damaged while removing the tail light panel

100_0297.jpg

Yeah, that is what is concerning to me. I'm gonna try my best to salvage my OEM stuff. It's rust free and appears to be in good shape. You getting any work done up there, Mike. Pretty dang cold up there in Jersey.     

3 hours ago, Machspeed said:

Thanks Ridge, but I ordered the new tooled panel from NPD. Read some reviews on the Dynacorn panel, one guy stating he was on his third panel. Said they were poorly done in the cut outs for the lights. There were some good reviews, but mostly negative. Wished I could see this stuff before I ordered. That NPD panel is twice the cost of the other panels.   

BTW, wasn't there an issue with the filler tube not fitting correctly in the tail panel? Seems I recall reading that somewhere?

Yeah, that is what is concerning to me. I'm gonna try my best to salvage my OEM stuff. It's rust free and appears to be in good shape. You getting any work done up there, Mike. Pretty dang cold up there in Jersey.     

I am doing some small stuff to keep the project going forward so when I get to the point of needing the small stuff it will be ready to install.

4 hours ago, mustangstofear said:

We installed the  Dynacorn panel and  had no problems  at all. Sometimes you  just  can't  believe  everything you  read  on these  forums.  A lot of it depends on  your  expertise  level :)

Yeah, I know, I've experienced that before with tools and other things. People give low ratings on a product and I purchase it  and think, this is a great product. People leaving the low ratings are knuckleheads that didn't read the directions or something. That's why I said I wished I could see these things before purchase. I gave $220 vs. $139 for that new panel through NPD. Description states "new tooling with thicker metal".   

Has anyone had issues with the trunk lock hole punched too far up into the crease? I test fitted the lock cylinder and found that it won't sit flush due to its position.  I'm working on seeing if they are all this way, and if so I'll modify the lock hole to move the lock further down.This is on the 1970 dynacorn panel, not the 69.

20190225_1949251.thumb.jpg.ca379868a995e9d98faada67074ea7d4.jpg20190225_1948381.thumb.jpg.3ca8246bce68ea28cae829e0abd57f52.jpg