RobotMan

New Roof Skin

Getting ready to replace the roof skin on my sons 69 Fastback. Wanted to draw upon the wealth of knowledge on the forum and ask if there is advice or things to watch out for from lessons learned by other members when installing a new roof skin.  Thanks again for your help. 

Rick

Straight forward ,drill the front and rear window opening spot welds ,do not damage the small drip rail at the quarter window ,you will use this again . Melt the lead at the roof to quarter joint and drill the spot welds below the lead ,and cut a couple of welds .

The drip rails are the hardest to drill out the spot welds ,the roof skin attaches directly to the drip rails,pull the skin off .

1 hour ago, Midlife said:

West Coast Cougars has a good video showing a replacement of a roof skin.  Interesting stuff!  I'd never tackle that myself!

A man's got to know his limitations. 

Harry Callahan

I wish i still had my old Snapon welder ,it was actually a muffler shop welder ,but it had a timed spot weld setting and a cone made for spot welds ,it looked like a castle nut on the end ,you could push with it and see inside when making spot welds . Most welds looked like a factory spot weld when finished and most didnt even need grinding ,i shure mis it .

I used a hose clamp and 3 strips cut from a copper pipe and made a castle on a spare nozzle (like splinting a bone with sticks in the wilderness) for my MIG welder. Use it some times and it does what the nozzle on your photo does, keep the tip at a constant distance from the weld area.

I think it also keeps a good flow of gas on the welds ,my old snapon had a tweeko gun so this cone must still be available ,i need a new cone so i will check on it .

This is like my old welder ,they are low amp for welding mufler tube and made really nice spot welds ,i am looking for another one ,the top tilts also 

BX9844A.jpg

9 hours ago, Ridge Runner said:

Forgot to mention the lead seam at the top of the windshield post ,melt out the lead there ,there will be one weld under the lead a maybe a couple of spot welds also

Hey Ridge,

What do you use to fill in the recesses where it was originally lead filled, do you re-fill them with lead or use something different?