jusatad

plastic bushings for steering column mounts

Does anyone know what these white plastic bushings are called and if anyone reproduces them?

I took the steering column mounts apart to media blast and paint the column.  Now I'm having trouble getting the aluminum square mount slide back together with the white plastic pieces circled in red.  The plastic pieces fit very tight and they are brittle and breaking.

20190113_173028_LI.jpg

2 hours ago, jusatad said:

Does anyone know what these white plastic bushings are called and if anyone reproduces them?

I took the steering column mounts apart to media blast and paint the column.  Now I'm having trouble getting the aluminum square mount slide back together with the white plastic pieces circled in red.  The plastic pieces fit very tight and they are brittle and breaking.

20190113_173028_LI.jpg

Did you put the plastic pieces on aluminum piece and pushed them on the bracket as seen on your picture? Looks like the plastic pieces have a key that fits on the notch of the bracket. So you have to put the plastic pieces on the bracket first then slide the aluminum piece over the plastics. If you put the plastic in the aluminum piece and push them on the bracket, plastic pieces will break.

@aslanefe, You are correct, the plastic pieces need to be install on the bracket with the square key in the notch.  Once that is done, you need to slide the aluminum piece into place.  The slots in the aluminum piece are tapered like a dovetail.  The fit is too tight for the aluminum piece to slide over the plastic piece the way it came apart.  In hindsight, I should have left it alone.

Just have to say it's interesting that I haven't been here in a long time, this was just posted and popped up in the top search, and I"m looking for the same solution for missing plastic bushings.

Anyhow, I have been living with a rattle column since my plastic bushings were junk period.

Does anyone know of a source for new ones? If I can get dimensions I may try to 3D print some and see if they work.

-Stephen

4 hours ago, Protowrxs said:

Just have to say it's interesting that I haven't been here in a long time, this was just posted and popped up in the top search, and I"m looking for the same solution for missing plastic bushings.

Anyhow, I have been living with a rattle column since my plastic bushings were junk period.

Does anyone know of a source for new ones? If I can get dimensions I may try to 3D print some and see if they work.

-Stephen

I do not know a source for new ones, but getting dimensions from the aluminum piece and the column bracket to create the 3D model and 3D printing them with ABS or PLA will be what I would do.

11 hours ago, aslanefe said:

I do not know a source for new ones, but getting dimensions from the aluminum piece and the column bracket to create the 3D model and 3D printing them with ABS or PLA will be what I would do.

Yeah that would work... just don't want to pull my column back out to get those dimensions. :-(

Anyone have a column mount out that would measure things? I may try to find a cheap extra to use to measure and test if not.

-Stephen