mqu02

Equalizer bar clutch fork spring interference

I am working on a '69 Mach 1, 351W w/toploader and am having an issue with the tension spring (or whatever it is called) that connects the clutch fork spring to the z bar, or equalizer bar.  I thought I had the correct z bar for a 351W, and this is the one I have:  https://www.npdlink.com/product/bar-assy-clutch-equalizer/105804?backurl=search%2Fproducts%3Fsearch_terms%3Dequalizer%2Bbar%26top_parent%3D200001%26year%3D1969&year=1969

Everything has fit fine until I put the factory style H-Pipe in, and now I don't have room for the post that connects to the Z bar to hold the other end of the spring.  Have I got something wrong on this, or does anyone know what might be wrong with this?  (Note:  It is kind of hard to see in the picture, but if that post was in its respective hole on the z bar it would be hitting the H pipe, and if I flipped it around 180-degrees it would be hitting the bellhousing and block plate.)

fullsizeoutput_669.jpeg

I have the same setup. 351W, Toploader 4sp, and the 11" clutch and bellhousing setup for 351W motors.  I have a custom bent exhaust and JBA short headers, and not the factory style H-pipe.  But room is still very limited.  I removed that pin for the spring and attached the spring to the hole for the pin in the Z-bar.  I also had to bend the lever on the Z-bar a little (not much) to better alignment with the shift fork.  You can also bend only the portion of the lever that the spring attaches to on the Z-bar.  The pin will still need to be eliminated.

You might also try moving the rod to the other side of the lever on the Z-bar for more clearance.

23 minutes ago, 1969_Mach1 said:

I have the same setup. 351W, Toploader 4sp, and the 11" clutch and bellhousing setup for 351W motors.  I have a custom bent exhaust and JBA short headers, and not the factory style H-pipe.  But room is still very limited.  I removed that pin for the spring and attached the spring to the hole for the pin in the Z-bar.  I also had to bend the lever on the Z-bar a little (not much) to better alignment with the shift fork.  You can also bend only the portion of the lever that the spring attaches to on the Z-bar.  The pin will still need to be eliminated.

You might also try moving the rod to the other side of the lever on the Z-bar for more clearance.

Thanks for the reply, and sounds like you had the same issue.  The 2 pictures I posted show the post on both sides of the Z-bar, and it interferes on both sides.  The spring will fit the Z-bar without the post installed, I just really find it odd that it is there in the first place if you are supposed to remove it, and thought I was doing something wrong.