Jack Wheeler

Back-up Light Switch 69 Vs 70

I am restoring a 1969 Mach1.  The car came with a 4-Speed Toploader transmission, which is correct for this car.  However, it had a Hurst Shift mechanism which, as I understand it, was not used in '69, but was used in '70-.  So, my question is, if I purchase a back-up light switch for a 1970 model, will this bolt right up to the linkage I have, or is there a special bracket used with the Hurst shift linkage.  If a special bracket is required, will that bracket work with my 1969 transmission?  Then, if a bracket is required, I would be interested in purchasing one, if anyone has one available.  Also, if anyone has (or can take) a picture of this linkage with the back-up light switch attached, that would be very helpful.  Thanks for any help you cqn give me.

Jack Wheeler

910-687-0211

Jack. I went through this on my 69. I ended up buying the bracket in the link below and used an OE style 69 switch. I needed to use a washer to make it work, but seems to be fine. Will snap a pic for you.

http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/Mustang/Ignition-Electrical/Switches/Back-Up-Light/Back-Up-Light-Switch-Bracket-1965-1973-Mustang-with-Hurst-Shifter.axd

On ‎02‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 8:03 AM, Jack Wheeler said:

I am restoring a 1969 Mach1.  The car came with a 4-Speed Toploader transmission, which is correct for this car.  However, it had a Hurst Shift mechanism which, as I understand it, was not used in '69, but was used in '70-.  So, my question is, if I purchase a back-up light switch for a 1970 model, will this bolt right up to the linkage I have, or is there a special bracket used with the Hurst shift linkage.  If a special bracket is required, will that bracket work with my 1969 transmission?  Then, if a bracket is required, I would be interested in purchasing one, if anyone has one available.  Also, if anyone has (or can take) a picture of this linkage with the back-up light switch attached, that would be very helpful.  Thanks for any help you cqn give me.

Jack Wheeler

910-687-0211

I have the same setup, 351W and 4sp toploader with a Hurst Competition Plus shifter.  I simply purchased the backup light switch, retainer, and harness to the switch for a 1970 Mustang with a 4sp.  As long as you have bracket #10 shown in the above diagram rockhouse66 posted it will work just fine.

Thanks to all for your help on this.  Since I already have the 69 switch, I think I will use that as Sunndogg did.  Just a couple of questions about your installation.  First, it is hard to tell from the picture, but where does the button on the switch push against?  I assume those are springs I see on the bottom of the linkage?  I assume the adjusting bolt on the top of the bracket comes with the bracket?  Perhaps it will make more sense when I see the bracket.  On the wiring, it looks like you used the wiring that comes with the switch.  It is about 3 feet long had has a 4 prong plug on the end, 2 male and 2 female.  Does that sound right?  I see a plug on the main wiring harness that the wiring from the switch could plug into.  It is located on the engine side of the firewall.  My only question is, is the wiring attached to the switch long enough to reach the plug in the main harness?  How did you route the wiring up from the switch to the main harness, assuming that is where it goes, and where did you attach the wiring to the body of the car?  I hope this all makes sense.  I'm dealing with something new to me here, so my assumptions may be all wrong.  I appreciate your time trying to straighten me out.  By the way, I just ordered the bracket via the link you attached.  That was very helpful.  Thanks again.

Jack Wheeler

Jack. The button on the switch pushes up against the reverse shift rod. In my pictures the shifter is in neutral. The bolt that attaches the bracket should already be on your shifter (one in front and one in back) as they are the shift throw limit adjustments. Below is the plug that I am using and there was plenty of length. It does connect at the firewall and I may eventually zip-tie it off to make sure it doesn't come in contact with my exhaust, but seems to be fine.

https://www.npdlink.com/product/switch-back-up-light-repro-c9zz-15520-b/150786?backurl=search%2Fproducts%3Fsearch_terms%3Dback-up%26top_parent%3D200001%26year%3D1969&year=1969

Thanks.  That is very helpful.  The switch I have is the same as the one you used.  It is hard to judge the distance when the car is sitting on the ground, but I'm sure it will fit, as yours did.  I'm sure that when I get the bracket and get the car up in the air, it will become obvious how it goes together.  Thanks for helping me get one of my "problems" resolved.

Jack

On 2/3/2019 at 11:31 AM, SunnDogg said:

Jack. I went through this on my 69. I ended up buying the bracket in the link below and used an OE style 69 switch. I needed to use a washer to make it work, but seems to be fine. Will snap a pic for you.

http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/Mustang/Ignition-Electrical/Switches/Back-Up-Light/Back-Up-Light-Switch-Bracket-1965-1973-Mustang-with-Hurst-Shifter.axd

SunnDogg - Did you see my follow-up message?  Following your lead, I am using the 69 switch and purchased the bracket you recommended.  However, when I shift into reverse, the shifter does not quite touch the switch button.  It is about 1/2" short of where it would need to be to activate the back-up light switch (see picture).  Did you run into this problem?  Thanks.

Jack

Back-Up Light Switch1.JPG

14 hours ago, Jack Wheeler said:

SunnDogg - Did you see my follow-up message?  Following your lead, I am using the 69 switch and purchased the bracket you recommended.  However, when I shift into reverse, the shifter does not quite touch the switch button.  It is about 1/2" short of where it would need to be to activate the back-up light switch (see picture).  Did you run into this problem?  Thanks.

Jack

Back-Up Light Switch1.JPG

Jack,

My car is tucked in for the winter, but I will try to see if I can get a good picture with it in reverse to compare to yours.