EastYorkStang

Fitech vs Sniper vs ?

For me, I've always been partial to Holley's products.  Maybe because they have been around so long.  For EFI, it will probably come down to each persons personal preference.  From looking at EFI systems myself, all I can add is if you have an auto trans that uses a kick down rod attached to the carb like a C4, C6, or FMX, most EFI setups do not have provisions for that kick down rod.  I have only seen the Holley Terminator system setup for Ford kick down rods.

FiTech the one that controls timing,2 cooling fans and bumps idle when a/c is turned on. Can't remember the number without going to look.

The reason why I used it because it was the only TBI available at the time. I can't really compare it to others because I have never used the others. I can say it is better than a carburetor but not as good as milti port injection.  

I have installed one F.I. Tech unit and also have a friend who is running one on a 400 Pontiac.

I spoke to a Holley Rep last year while on the Hot Rod Power Tour and asked how his system stacked up against the F.I. Tech kits because it sure looked the same...His response was pretty simple..he looked at me, smirked and turned around and walked off LOL...At that point I decided if the F.I tech stuff worked I would just always use them unless there was something better at the same price point.

Here are my thoughts on the F.I. Tech.

1. Price point for what you get it great. The units are well built, look nice and install easy.

2. There are FAR more adjustments and tuning things in their software than I will EVER use.

3. Set-up and install was simple, just follow the directions and you can get it up and running really easy.

4. They offer several options to fill just about any HP level even with using N20 or Forced induction.

5. Their Electrical connectors and wiring are all good quality and come wrapped in mesh loom already.

6. They offer several different fuel supply options from in tank set-ups so you can modify your existing tank and put a pump in it or the fuel command center so you can use your stock pump to fill the command center which then uses their electric pump to supply the EFI and you don't need a return line... Or you can go frame mounted pump and return line.

Now here is what I have observed after playing with one for a little bit. I actually have my best friends Wife's 68 FB at my house right now which is the car that I did the install on.

To do set up you basically just need to follow their directions and pick your engine size, cam aggressiveness (scale of 1-3 I think) and supply a few other bits of info...Once you have done this and have adequate fuel system its a matter of hitting the key and making small adjustments.

This car has the power adder 800 kit on it and we initially hooked up the ignition system with the thought you just let the computer control the timing all the time, but found out quickly that the timing control is for the use of Nitrous or forced induction, so if you are not spraying or boosting you wont need the timing control, and since we don't have the gas on the car yet we opted to just hook it up as normal.

The system does monitor the timing and from what I understand it adjusts the fuel curves based on timing and demand, but it will not adjust the timing on the fly unless you hook it up to do so and it will only do it under spray or boost. So basically your normal curve that you have established as what your motor works on now is what the system uses and runs with.

If you use the timing control for gas/boost you have to lock out your distributor if I remember correctly.

Its really cool that you can be sitting at idle and manually adjust the AFR and watch the computer compensate for it and see how your car responds to it...This can be done through the whole RPM range.

Start up is immediate, Cold idle is perfect, AC comes on and Idle goes up and the car runs like a top.

All in all I like their systems and will eventually put one on mine  

MikeStang

On the one you installed on the mustang did you have any RPM surging.  If you look at the RPM display on the hand held the RPM's surges a couple hundred RPM's up and down but listening to the engine you can't really tell. The only thing i have noticed is when I come to a stop, sometimes it will surge like when driving a manual shift and you delay pushing the clutch in. I am running AOD and it seems to be related to it being a little lazy dropping out of OD, which a lot of them are.  I initially blamed it on using the FiTech to control the timing but not so sure now. I can run in reg drive which holds it in 3rd or direct drive and it will never do it.   I have adjusted some of the parameters in the control and as helped a lot but occasionally will still do it. Just wondering since the one u installed wasn't controlling timing if you had this problem?  

I have just decided to go with the Edelbrock Pro Flo 4 which seems a step up form "electrized carb" as the sniper or FIctech.

The proflo control the ignition also and the main advantage is that the injectors are located on the intake

17 hours ago, det0326 said:

MikeStang

On the one you installed on the mustang did you have any RPM surging.  If you look at the RPM display on the hand held the RPM's surges a couple hundred RPM's up and down but listening to the engine you can't really tell. The only thing i have noticed is when I come to a stop, sometimes it will surge like when driving a manual shift and you delay pushing the clutch in. I am running AOD and it seems to be related to it being a little lazy dropping out of OD, which a lot of them are.  I initially blamed it on using the FiTech to control the timing but not so sure now. I can run in reg drive which holds it in 3rd or direct drive and it will never do it.   I have adjusted some of the parameters in the control and as helped a lot but occasionally will still do it. Just wondering since the one u installed wasn't controlling timing if you had this problem?  

No sir, we have not had any issues with RPM surge like you are describing.

When we tried to use the timing control to let the FI tech do the work we had issues and their Tech dept said if we were not spraying or boosting that we should use the standard ignition control method lol... You don't seem to have any problems letting the FI tech unit do the work?

14 minutes ago, MikeStang said:

No sir, we have not had any issues with RPM surge like you are describing.

When we tried to use the timing control to let the FI tech do the work we had issues and their Tech dept said if we were not spraying or boosting that we should use the standard ignition control method lol... You don't seem to have any problems letting the FI tech unit do the work?

The FiTech seems to be handling the timing OK. The only problem I am having is what i described and not sure if it is timing related or not. 

6 hours ago, Shep69 said:

I have been running a FiTech setup on my mustang for a while now. Cold starts are awsome even after sitting for weeks. The ability to tune on the fly is good. No issues from me. 

Shep69, which model FiTech are you using?.

On 1/26/2019 at 2:45 AM, Mike65 said:

Shep69, which model FiTech are you using?.

I’m using the Go EFI 4  600hp.  I’m not using the timing control function atm as I already had the msd setup. I went in tank pump and used the stock fuel line as the return.  

There is an adjustment you can make that slows the idle step down speed up or down.

Basically when you come off the throttle it will bring idle speed down slower which may help you.

I think it's in the idle steps section...call tech line

I just installed the Holley Sniper with a Holley EFI tank.

I've driven it twice around the block so not really experienced with it but my initial thoughts are positive.

The kit came with everything need, from the carb down to cable ties and everything in between. 

Started first time, drove well, performance is good and the (tiny) screen shows you what you need to know. Idle is good, throttle response is crisp, startup fast and shutdown with no run on.

It can run 2 fans, all the connectors are waterproof, there is plenty of wire length supplied and the instructions are good.

I went with Holley as they have done carbs since Henry Ford has been building cars and I trusted them.

Next step is to put in a MSD 6AL box, distributor and coil and let the Sniper run the whole shebang.

I'll post up a review soon.

4 hours ago, smh00n said:

Next step is to put in a MSD 6AL box, distributor and coil and let the Sniper run the whole shebang.

I'll post up a review soon.

smh00n   i was under the impression that the Sniper was the same as FiTech when it comes to controlling timing.  The FiTech does not need any external boxes just a two wire distributor such as the old Ford durospark.

On 5/2/2019 at 12:59 AM, det0326 said:

smh00n   i was under the impression that the Sniper was the same as FiTech when it comes to controlling timing.  The FiTech does not need any external boxes just a two wire distributor such as the old Ford durospark.

Mate I honestly don't know. There is a two wire plug supplied in the kit which I suppose could go to a distributor. From what I understand this is then used for the MSD box and that controls timing, as you have to lock out the advance when you use it on a vacuum dizzy..

I'd already bought a MSD, billet distributor and coil before the Sniper so I am going to use that. My current distributor is points and vacuum and the Sniper just plugs into the coil negative.

There is a whole heap of timing options but they went over my head (I'm still analogue in thinking). In Australia we only had Windsors with EFI from 1995-ish so very few V8 electronic distributors to choose, as they were full crank trigger ignition. I think most folks just go new like me, as getting a Duraspark would cost just as much as a new MSD setup by the time you dealt with ebay sellers.

Hello

Have just installed the new Edelbrock pro flo 4 on my 351w and coulkd not be happier : First cranking = immediate start

The auto tune/learn function works very well and cold start and dieseling issues are gone. The engine is much smoother and even quieter.

I also installed the Aeromotive Stealth 2 fuel tank which is very well priced.

Tuning is done via an Android Tab connected by bluetooth.

for 1850 USD you get a real port injection mounted on a Victor intake - the dizzy is also a nice piece.

The only issue is the total height of the install, I needed to cut the hood to clear the air cleaner, I will put a hood scoop like a cougar eliminator or cervini B9 to close this hole.

PF 1.jpg

On 5/13/2019 at 11:03 PM, ClubSport said:

Hello

Have just installed the new Edelbrock pro flo 4 on my 351w and coulkd not be happier : First cranking = immediate start

The auto tune/learn function works very well and cold start and dieseling issues are gone. The engine is much smoother and even quieter.

I also installed the Aeromotive Stealth 2 fuel tank which is very well priced.

Tuning is done via an Android Tab connected by bluetooth.

for 1850 USD you get a real port injection mounted on a Victor intake - the dizzy is also a nice piece.

The only issue is the total height of the install, I needed to cut the hood to clear the air cleaner, I will put a hood scoop like a cougar eliminator or cervini B9 to close this hole.

PF 1.jpg

I wish they would create a port fuel injection for the 351w performer RPM intake, so we could use it with a shaker.  

I went with the Holley Sniper with Holley EFI fuel tank and the Holley Dual-Sync Distributor, all is controlled via the integrated ECU and touch screen. I have it connected to a performance built 4R70W AOD trans, which sync's to the ECU as well as the trans ECU (adjustable shift points). Engine is a 408 Stroker Windsor.

I have the Holley Sniper installed on my 408 stroked Cleveland M- code. I also installed Holley's Hyperspark Coil, Distributor, and Ignition box. The fuel pump is also a Holley in tank 69-70 retro fit return-less pump with fuel sender. I have no complaints, with the Hyperspark the initial turning done by selecting Hyperspark when first configuring the ECU. You can refine it from there.  The return-less in tank pump you just use you exiting fuel line and modify both ends to connect to the pump and the sniper. 

Most important is to run adequate size wire gauge and connect the power to a clean dedicated right off the battery, Tao into the ignition wire as sloe to the ignition switch as possible to avoid issue with factory resistance wires. Make sure you have no vacuum leaks or exhaust leaks before or right after the O2 Sensor. Exhaust leaks before or close to the O2 sensor wreak havoc on the Sniper closed loop system causing constant fluctuation between rich and lean fuel conditions as the Sniper ECU tries to maintain the target air/fuel ratio.  If you have an original (unconverted Ohm driven) factory Tach, you will need to have Rocketman convert it to a voltage driven tach, or buy a product called Tach Adapter from MSD. The Tach Adapter converts the Sniper voltage tach signal to a Ohm driven signal. Essentially mimicking the factory coil output to the factory tach.

Finally, I have found Holley's Tech support to be outstanding. Available Monday thru Saturday from 8am to 8pm Eastern time and usually only a 10-15 min wait time. 

20210714_174641.thumb.jpg.cc12fc040f67c105170363127286e824.jpg1854931785_20210624_203219fullview.thumb.jpg.40a58790a7206413bd9e660e8daf4b39.jpg20210906_211117.thumb.jpg.cc6116a32e60626fcbb805738dc89515.jpg