mikee

69 coupe from SVK

Hi Folks,

cam bearings are installed, block painted, main bearings in and I started piston installation.

Since I didn’t machine the block, recommendation of machine shop was to bring the clearances on mains and rod bearings to the edge of range. I have ca. 0,0015 on rod and 0,002 on mains of inch clearance.

Meanwhile I matched head ports to size of gasket / manifolds.

After I opened first 4 boxes of rod bearings, I realized that they have different marking: A-2 and B-1. I spent hour looking for this in Malhe / Clevite catalogues but only mention I found of “B-1” was type of backing Material, but none “A-2”. Both halves are identical in dimensions. After I opened 5-th box the was only “B-1” sign on both halves. Does anyone know meaning of this – is it only batch sign?

Thanks

20230103_181552.jpg

20230128_160849.jpg

20230201_212204.jpg

20230211_120238.jpg

20230204_181322.jpg

20230209_184501.jpg

20230128_185643.jpg

I do not have the answer to your question but I do have a suggestion. Please consider buying the tools or take the parts to someone that has the appropriate tools to measure rather than trust plastigage.  

On edit, here is the answer to your question in regards to "A-2" & "B-1", at the end of the video.: 

https://www.dragzine.com/news/video-mahle-talks-markings-on-engine-bearings/

Thanks jmlay I'll check the video right away, i didn't find this one. 

Plastigauge was just "for fun", just for double check - I bought that i was curious how it will perform. I have full range of micrometers and bore gauge as well, but my measurements are all in millimeters and plastigauge was my only inch reading.

I was excited when the cam came and didn't checked even if the signing corresponds with description sheet. Better than pulling it out was for me to check the timing :) - learning by doing.     

Sooo, Carb is overhauled, installed and my biggest nightmare - installing of engine with tranny is done!!! Due to lack of time for quality time in garage I decided to order whole exhaust and not to build it by myself.  That's the last thing to my initial engine start :)

20230409_135520.jpg

20230325_135440.jpg

20230428_194044.jpg

20230429_201830.jpg

20230430_191056.jpg

5 hours ago, SWPruett said:

Looks great!  Steady progress and……….it’s in!  

One word of caution however:  carb rebuilds should really be done with creamy peanut butter.  The crunchy causes misfires…..

5 hours ago, SWPruett said:

Looks great!  Steady progress and……….it’s in!  

One word of caution however:  carb rebuilds should really be done with creamy peanut butter.  The crunchy causes misfires…..

Damn! I have to order new rebuild set... :)

On 7/3/2023 at 9:31 PM, Vicfreg said:

Well done!  Great to see the engine in the car!!

What kind of water pump is that?  Was wondering about your fan to radiator clearance with that water pump.

Vic, I have over 2 Inches from propeller to radiator:

20230709_183451.jpg