sixt9stang

Rusty crank

Thanks. Definitely not going to run that high of lift since I will probably go with that Howards cam.  Car will be used for weekend cruising, car shows, and spirited country road driving.  Not looking to drag race.  Wouldn't mind going to some autocross.  Road racing a bit someday but probably not with this build.

Nothing to add about the crank but I suggest you ditch the Edelbrock Performer and get an Edelbrock Performer RPM. I had both in my shop a while back and was curious how they differed. I couldn't get a satisfactory from Edelbrock. My example is for a 351W but I bet the same design is used on the 302. I created the following pic to show the flow paths. See why the RPM is superior? I don't think the Performer flows any better than the factory iron manifold. Yes you'll save a little weight. Like one guy said, "good for a van that never goes past 4500 rpm."

both.jpg

Thanks.  After watching Engine Masters where they tested intakes I was definitely thinking about going to the RPM intake.

On another note the 351 out of the 86 pickup was stuck solid.  I did pull it all apart anyways and it looks like it should clean up if I want to have it machined someday.  I then got another 351 block that had been machined .030 over but had been sitting for cheap.  After cleaning some light surface rust in a couple of cylinders I found some grooves that I can catch my finger nail on from a broken ring most likely so that block is a paper weight right now.  I was really looking for something I could get that was cheap and running that I could throw in pretty quickly.  Enter round 3 for an engine.  A 1989 Lincoln Town Car with 80k on it and runs like a top. 

NeU6mSI.jpg

So the question is; What do I use from this engine/car?  Should I use just the short block and throw on the heads from my '69?  Should I use the long block?  Would this car have the duraspark ignition that I could use?  I am also thinking about using the transmission if that could be a good overdrive trans to use.  Sorry for all the questions.  Maybe I should start a new thread.

If your 69 heads are good, that would be a better choice for the 89 351W.  I don't think the Duraspark ignition in that 89 would work for an older car.  I think by 1989 mechanical and vacuum advance distributors were no longer being used.  Ignition timing advance was computer controlled by 1989.  I wouldn't bother with that overdrive transmission.  It is probably an AODE and those were kind of problematic back then, early shifting, stacking shifts, etc., at least in stock form.  The later 4R70W is a better option.  I'd hang on to that trans.  Maybe you can find a trans shop that knows how to sort out all those issues.

1 minute ago, barnett468 said:

that is likely a very low compression engine, and if so, you need a tiny cam to get some performance out of it.

Most likely. I do not plan on doing a performance build with this 302. My plan is to throw this engine in to get my car running cheap and then this coming winter or as money allows, build a better 302 or 351.