MikeStang

Driveline Angles

Well so I don't hi-jack anyone else thread decided I would make my own haha.

Recently built some wooden stands to put under my tires sonar to get my car up high enough to measure the driveline angles with the car at ride height and here are the measurements for everyone's consideration in Hope's maybe yall can help me get it lined out.

1. Trans output shaft is at 5.0 degrees down

2. Driveshaft angle - 3.0 degrees down toward trans

3. Pinion angle is at - 3.5 Degrees down

I am attaching a few pics as well for a visual ref.

And yes my rear end is higher than my trans output shaft.

I'm thinking I need to pick my trans up a few degrees if possible and rotate my pinion angle up to 2.5 to 3.0 degrees positive.

Thoughts?15480229156026895169652576898291.thumb.jpg.2dc75687aae40101da7ca7ee8817037c.jpg

some say that the drive shaft angle matters but for the life of me I don't know why.  Rule of thumb is what ever degree your trans shaft is down you want you rear end yolk opposite minus 1 degree for spring wrap if you have leaf springs.

If i following correctly the pinon angle and trans angle are within 1.5 degrees being the same, both being down, that pinon needs to come up to at least 4 degrees in the opposite direction,  unless you can get the trans up some more. 

Yeah Det I am going to try to raise the trans up at least a minimum 1 degree...Would like to get 2 out of it but not sure that I can get that much out of it before it hits the trans tunnel.

Ideally I can get the trans up to 3 degrees down angle. But that doesnt change the fact I have to rotate the rear end up 3.5 degrees to get to Zero and then 3 more to get it to a positive 3.0 Or at least +2 

6 hours ago, MikeStang said:

Well so I don't hi-jack anyone else thread decided I would make my own haha.

Thoughts?

My thoughts are it wouldn't  have bothered me a bit. 

So after about an hour or so of playing around here what I was able to accomplish.

I now have the transmission at 3.8 degrees down from 5 degrees.

The rear pinion angle is now at 3.2 degrees UP!

Once I set my Caltracks and put plug wires back on I'll go for a drive and report back

Oh Btw just a little note for anyone running leaf springs and Cal tracs that may need to do some angle adjustment...do yourself a favor and get some U-Bolts that are about 1" longer than stock...it will allow you to loosten the rear end off enough one side at a time so as to slip your angle wedges in between the rear and spring plates.

Also use your cal trac bars to help line up the centering bolt into the axle flange spring plate hole since they usually move out of alignment when you loosen them.

On 1/20/2019 at 2:55 PM, det0326 said:

some say that the drive shaft angle matters but for the life of me I don't know why. 

Rule of thumb is what ever degree your trans shaft is down you want you rear end yolk opposite minus 1 degree for spring wrap if you have leaf springs.

1. they may simply not be explaining it correctly. the actual angle of the driveshaft by itself is irrelevant because it has no idea what angle it is at. in other words, it doesn't matter whether you drive your car on a road that is horizontal or one that is at a 45 degree angle.

2. pretty much, unless you have a link suspension like rpm does and some older gm cars had, in which case, you could put them both at nearly the same angle, however, the pinion will still rise slightly under load with a link system if the links use rubber bushings instead of heim joints because the bushings will flex, therefore, a slight difference in angle is still advisable imo.

well I am at 3.8  Degrees down on the transmission and 3.2 degrees UP on my pinion and I am running Caltracks so that gives me a little wiggle room on the minus 1 degree on the pinion angle... If I need to I can swap the 4 Degree shims I have in there now for a set of 3 degree units which I have laying around somewhere I think...

My Vibration was not really that bad, it was just a cyclical vibration that came in above about 55mph but I just gotta get it worked out LOL.

I checked my U-Joints and they feel good still even with several thousand miles on them and pretty good variation in the driveline angles.

I do have a pinion leak going on tho and it bugs the shit out of me because now my gas tank has a nice dirt layer build up on it Haha