TexasEd

50th birthday thread

Here is a pic of my 69 Coupe on his 50th birthday 11/26/18. Repairing a couple rust spots on the l/s windshield post. Build date was 11/26/68 in Metuchen, NJ. My 2000 Ranger behind the Mustang was built at the same assembly plant 03/2000, almost 31 1/2 years later.

84700-5-22-17-a.jpg

Build date Jan 16, 1969

20190121_164600_zpsnrzfayee.jpg

Brakes Bled, timing set (still runs rough). First time out of the garage in 7 years!

Did a shadetree alignment and drove her around the block.  Had a lot of squeaks like maybe I did not install bearings right or something.  

Looking into trailering her to a shop for alignment, checking those squeaks and fine tuning it.

Mine was built November 17, 1969.   

I will be wishfully thinking that Janice Joplin was on the way to pick up my Mustang Convertible but was detained in Florida.....that's my story and I am sticking to it....   

So in November,  I am going to have a "back to the future party" and celebrate what happened around that date in 1969.   I will pull out the 8-Tracks, get some bourbon, and crank up some Doors and Big Brother tunes.  Then end the night with a movie marathon featuring Midnight Cowboy and Easy Rider (both released in 1969).  Then watch the Jim Morrison Shelby Mustang Movie...

November 11, 1969 - Jim Morrison and a friend were on a flight to Arizona to see The Rolling Stones play a gig. True to his rock star lifestyle, Morrison got incredibly drunk and caused a scene, which even involved heckling the flight attendants. This led to his arrest when the plane landed, by FBI agents none the less. He was charged with drunk and disorderly conduct as well as interfering with the operation of an aircraft

November 15, 1969 - Janis Joplin is arrested at her concert in Tampa, Florida and charged with using "vulgar and indecent language". The incident began when a policeman with a bullhorn ordered people in the audience to sit down and Joplin responded, "Don't fuck with those people! Hey, Mister, what're you so uptight about? Did you buy a five dollar ticket?" When police backstage instructed Joplin to tell the audience to take their seats, she replied, "I'm not telling them shit." After being arrested in her dressing room, Joplin was released on bond and all charges were eventually dropped

Jim Morrison owned a 1967 Shelby and made a move (never released) that featured it.....

On 1/22/2019 at 3:35 AM, TexasEd said:

Build date Jan 16, 1969

20190121_164600_zpsnrzfayee.jpg

Brakes Bled, timing set (still runs rough). First time out of the garage in 7 years!

Did a shadetree alignment and drove her around the block.  Had a lot of squeaks like maybe I did not install bearings right or something.  

Looking into trailering her to a shop for alignment, checking those squeaks and fine tuning it.

Mine would have looked just like yours out of the factory.

So my car's birthday came and went last week. I was in Minneapolis so I couldn't take her out. I did cruise on Memorial Day. Many more cruises to come.

Really hard to believe the ole girl's 50. We started dating when I was 16. 

23 hours ago, 1969Fstback said:

I love that color. What is it?

It's a color called Rojo Delhi Effect. It is from SEAT,  a spanish car manufacturer in the Volkswagen Group. 

A day late posting, but Roxy turned 50 yesterday! The second picture is the day i bought her in 2007 after a 16 month deployment to Afghanistan (and a gift to myself). The last shows her nestled in with the rest of the corral (Rowdy and Rhonda).

IMG-2237.jpg

IMG-2241.jpg

Roxy2.jpg

garage 2.jpg