ken

70 break and clutch assembly

Im in the process of removing my fmx and upgrading to a tremec 5speed. I have a break and clutch pedal from a '69. will those attach to the old assembly if i remove the old break pedal?

There are 4 brake pedals

manual brakes & manual transmission

manual brakes & automatic transmission

power brakes & manual transmission

power brakes & automatic transmission

Manual brake pedals ride on the clutch pedal shaft on a manual transmission car and on a dummy shaft on an automatic transmission car. Power brake pedals ride on a dummy shaft high up on the pedal bracket for both transmissions however the foot pad is different for each. There may also be differences in master cylinders between each of the 4 combinations. Completely doable, just make sure you have the right combination. And yes, you can cut down the foot pad on an automatic pedal for a manual application.

On 1/10/2019 at 5:47 PM, ken said:

I have a break and clutch pedal from a '69. will those attach to the old assembly if i remove the old break pedal?

Ya, Ken is going to have to post some info before he can do the swap.

2 hours ago, mustangstofear said:

The manual brake pedal has a higher pivot point compared to the power which is a lot lower on the pedal. We only use the manual pedal for all our brakes.

You've got that reversed.

1st pic - My rebuilt oem manual brake pedal, clutch pedal and bracket. Hole to right of red clip in pic is where power brake pedals mount.

2nd pic - A 70 setup on right with power brake pedal.

Pedal_Bracket_007.JPG

Pedal_Bracket_001.JPG

Thanks for all the input. Sorry for taking so long to get back. The car is a power brake car, and the pedals from the 69' are power too. I don't have an assembly for a manual trans, do i need to buy one? There quite expensive around $500 or more. and i don't want an after market product.

So i'm going to hijack this thread :)

I have a 70 fitted with a 69 booster and power brake pedal. The car is auto and was originally drum brake as far as I can tell.

The brake pedal has no real feel - it travels a long way (relative to a modern) and seems to bottom out. The retardation is not real flash and seems to be only working at the very end of the travel.

The brake shop I got to check it all reckoned the booster pedal point would be better off higher.

The brake pedal is up on the top bolt.

Is changing to a manual brake pedal hanging off the lower pivot hole going to work? 

I'll be changing this to a 5 speed over the next months using a Modern Driveline cable clutch kit so will that change things?

I have spent months on this thing eradicating a rear lock up issue and now I have no pedal feel.

On ‎01‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 2:32 PM, mustangstofear said:

Not sure how  I have it reversed.  We  use the high  pivot point on every  pedal  assembly we build with a manual  M/C. We  never  use a  power  booster. 

RogerC and RPM have it correct.  For factory manual brakes the pivot is lower, closer to the where the master cylinder push rod attaches to the pedal to reduce pedal effort.

On 1/18/2019 at 3:12 AM, smh00n said:

So i'm going to hijack this thread :)

I have a 70 fitted with a 69 booster and power brake pedal. The car is auto and was originally drum brake as far as I can tell.

The brake pedal has no real feel - it travels a long way (relative to a modern) and seems to bottomut. The retardation is not real flash and seems to be only working at the very end of the travel.

Did you adjust the brake booster rod already?

4 hours ago, whoapony said:

Did you adjust the brake booster rod already?

Yes. Long story cut short I think I managed to put the wrong thickness reaction pad on the booster pushrod so it was too short. This happened as I put the OEM master cylinder in along with a local master cylinder which used different pushrods. Changed it, budda bing great brakes. 

Not impressed with the shop - I told them to start from the beginning but they just made assumptions and wasted my money. Just another reason to do things yourself.