Jwb5858

Should I recore my original radiator?

Here's the deal. I have a stock 69 convertible, 302, AC, 4 sp. The only modifications have been upgraded compressor, disc brakes, 4 spd (was 3  spd). My radiator took a dump and now I either need to replace or recore.

From what I can find, my options are;

New radiator, American made performance for 500+/-

Import for 300

Recore for 300

I'm leaning towards a recore... This seems to be a great price from a local radiator shop. I've read but need to verify that the recore would use better quality materials than the import rads.  

Am I missing anything?

Should keeping it stock be a factor? My current radiator is C9ZE J1

thanks

It really comes down to what you want.

If I could recore an original for the same price as replacing it, I would. But originality is important to me, and "things are only original once" - when you scrap a C9ZEJ1 it's gone forever. (I will admit that due to cost, I replaced mine with a stock look-alike but kept the original for possible repair later.)

Other folks couldn't care less, and would rather have the peace of mind of a new, and probably better, modern radiator.

Neither way is right or wrong, it's what makes sense to you. 

The recore estimate was over the phone. I dropped it off this morning and we’ll see what the shop recommends.

I do agree it’s important to keep a car period correct if it hasn’t already been hacked.

Thanks, John

1 hour ago, mustangstofear said:

Hard to believe anyone still  does  that  with all EPA regulations.  We use to do it for over  50 years. 

I am in Alabama. Sometimes  rules are “interpreted” differently here.

2 hours ago, Rsanter said:

I would buy new and then just save the original one

If I go that route, any recommendations on which brand to get? 

I would like to use same mounting brackets without modifications.

It sounds like your engine is mostly stock like mine. I went with this one, it 's a drop in replacement and looks stock. Works fine with my 300hp 302.

Of course, radiators are like motor oil, people get passionate about them :)  Decide what you want, what you need, and how much you want to spend.

I would NOT recore it. The rad shops can NOT get the us made cores with the same tube size as the originals, and the cores they now use have much smaller tubes then the original rads had, so if you get one with the same amount of tubes as the one you have, it will hold LESS water and will not col as efficiently.

I actually have a rad with a new us made core that i would sell if it fits your needs and your car.

5 minutes ago, barnett468 said:

I would NOT recore it. The rad shops can NOT get the us made cores with the same tube size as the originals, and the cores they now use have much smaller tubes then the original rads had, so if you get one with the same amount of tubes as the one you have, it will hold LESS water and will not col as efficiently.

Well that sucks!

post-33155-0-85753300-1468778226.jpgRe-coring your original is a good move.  I have been recording my originals for decades with never a regret.  The re-install always goes smoothly and I have never noted any negative difference in cooling performance.  The radiators for my 65 and 66 200 and 289 cars get the three row up grade.  The 69/428 is stock with the three row and this last time I up graded the core replacement from the stock 123 tubes 8 fins per inch to the modern 159 tubes 13 fins per inch.  The tube and fin count is what I was told.  The shop I have been using for the last 45 years orders the core replacement and does the installation re-using my top , bottom tanks and the original side straps. The shops that will or can provide this service are becoming scarce.  You are fortunate that you found one. I prefer to refurbish and reuse my original parts rather than piling them up in the garage where they are only one step away from the trash.  Brian

On 1/9/2019 at 11:08 AM, Jwb5858 said:

If I go that route, any recommendations on which brand to get? 

I would like to use same mounting brackets without modifications.

I bought mine from a seller we met at SEMA, they were out of LA, good people and have no issue with the unit