JayEstes

Rear drum lockout system?

OK, here's a crazy question.  I am wondering if anyone has devised a lockout switch for the rear brakes - one that can be thrown at will from inside?  The single rear brake line follows the drivers side of the transmission hump, and I am wondering if anyone has installed any kind of hydraulic ball-valve to lock-out the rear brakes?

Confession:  the motivation is a rear wheel burn out.  I'm attending a Concourse show late spring, and the best thing about the show is they let the mustangs/muscle cars burn the tires the day we exit the show.  The sponsors encourage last day attendees to hang around and line the exit, and all the cars interested can "smoke-em while you leave".  It was a ton of fun last time with both side of the exit row lined with Cheering fans, and so I would like to "enhance" my ability to smoke em in place.  Not something I do all the time obviously, but I thought it would reduce abuse on the drums (I literally hate each and every time I have to re-work the rear drums).  I am fully aware this will increase the abuse on the tires, but boys will be boys ya know....

Any thoughts?  Dumb idea? Reasons it won't function right? etc.  I'd still have the e-brake backup system with the hydraulic lines cut-out.

Yes, it probably would work.  I would rather not get electricity involved.  I am thinking of an in-line ball-valve like this one:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-8-Tube-SS-Ball-Valve-3000-Psig-Hoke-7122G2S/323575748064?epid=0&hash=item4b569e15e0:g:YPsAAOSwmkBcAQYo

I drill a hole in the hump wall next to the drivers seat and insert the valve, torque the nut down and pinch the floor between the valve body and the nut for a solid mounting, then cut the steel-line and then double flare both ends, hook up to the valve.

To use: just reach between the hump and seat and shut em off. 

In my way of thinking you would leave pressure off the system - say while in park - lock out the rears with the ball valve, and then you are free to brake with fronts only...

35 minutes ago, JayEstes said:

To use: just reach between the hump and seat and shut em off. 

It might work. I wonder how the rear circuit would respond if there is nowhere for brake fluid to flow? It could prevent pedal movement?

And remember to switch it back on.  A dumba$$ like me would forget and drive around with disabled brakes for weeks at a time.

6 minutes ago, 69RavenConv said:

It might work. I wonder how the rear circuit would respond if there is nowhere for brake fluid to flow? It could prevent pedal movement?

And remember to switch it back on.  A dumba$$ like me would forget and drive around with disabled brakes for weeks at a time.

I may resemble that dumbass....  It's not something I would ever use much. I don't think.  Just one of those occasional "show-off" things.

I think the circuit in the rear (aft of the new valve) would be quiescent.  With pressure blocked by the valve, I think it would be the same as with no foot on the pedal.  I think the prop valve would respond normally.  As pressure builds when I hit the brake, it would believe normal pressure was going all the way back to the rears when it's actually being stopped at the valve.  There would be no flow thru the rear line at all with valve closed, so it might feel different, not sure.

As master cylinder is providing pressure I believe it should release fine.  At least I can't think of a reason it wouldn't.

Maybe check out some You Tube videos of guys leaving car shows and the results that followed. seen many a car tore up.

Although it is fun to feel the power and smokem up, I save it for the parking lot some where and just keep the fans wondering what  kind of power does it have.

3 hours ago, Caseyrhe said:

Maybe check out some You Tube videos of guys leaving car shows and the results that followed. seen many a car tore up.

Although it is fun to feel the power and smokem up, I save it for the parking lot some where and just keep the fans wondering what  kind of power does it have.

Yeah, this is all in a parking lot.  I wouldn't want any speed to go with it.  I've seen enough of those cringy videos already.  Not going there!