mark69sportsroof

Wiring a 69 Dash speaker

Hi Everyone,

I'm trying to add a dash speaker to the 69.  The car originally came with an Am radio and dash speaker.  During the restoration I upgraded the interior to the deluxe version with the speakers in the doors.  I had an original Ford AM/FM radio refurbished.  It all works good but now  I would like to add the dash speaker.  So now I have several questions.

The wiring on the back show 4 wires that I can see.  An orange with green stripes and red with green stripe.  Both are attached somewhere I can't see.

The other two wires are yellow with green stripe and pink with the blue stripe and both are unattached.  The red wires might also by pinkish.  Kind of hard tell from a photo.

What would have been the standard size dash speaker size?  Underneath the dash it has a metal radio mounting bracket.

Is there a pre made harness to connect the radio to the speakers or do I just slice unto the door speaker wire?

Thanks for your time and assistance.  Mark

The dash speaker was mono and had a 2-pin connector that went directly to the radio. The stereo radios have a 4-pin connector for the speakers - two wires for the left channel and two for the right channel. The dash speaker was deleted for stereo.

You could add one of those aftermarket dual-cone dash speakers, and splice into the right and left channels in the harness. I've also seen people mount two small speakers side by side in the dash for right and left. Don't know that I would want that personally.

Your can choose  and make the center channel (dash speaker)work but you will lose the "stereo" separation sound. It will sound crappy.

You can do it by taking a positive from each left and right speaker connecting them to the dash speaker.

Thanks for all the advice. 

Does anyone know what the 2 unattached are used for?  I definitely want to enhance my sound and not diminish it.  Could I run a set of wires just from one speaker to the  new dash speaker?

I just remembered I have the Painless wiring not the factory wiring.  Not sure if that would make a difference?

Does anyone the size of speaker that would have been original?

Thanks Mark 

If I follow you correctly, your radio should have 6 wires - a 2-pin connector for power (+12V and GND) and a 4-pin connector for the speakers. There is also another single wire for the lamp.  I'm at work so I can't verify wire colors but it's probably on the web somewhere.

I would assume Painless included the stereo option but I have no knowledge. The 2-pin power should be there.

There were/are OEM door harnesses that include the speaker and courtesy light wires for cars that had those things. You can buy repops from any vendor or you can fabricate them. There was no provision for a dash speaker on the stereo radios. I would leave it out - but if you really want one, use a real 2-channel speaker (or 2 individual speakers) and splice into the left and right channels accordingly. You do NOT want to tie the right and left channel wires together at a common center speaker. 

I don't recall the physical size but all the parts vendors sell speakers that fit,.

FWIW, I bought one of those 2-channel dash speakers because I didn't want to cut my doors. The sound is pretty awful, I hope they've improved since I bought mine. I toy with the idea of vent panel pods but have never pulled the trigger. I drive a vert, so I mostly listen to the great outdoors when I drive anyway.