Sign in to follow this  
maleah

1969 convertible header install.

Just wanted to pass on my experience  with header installation on my 69 convertible last week.  After reading many, many stories of problem installs, i went into this thinking it would be a very hard project.  I looked at each major header that was out there and decided on the Patriot ceramic  long tube headers.  I ordered them through Advance auto and used the 30% coupon they offer so I received a set of ceramic long tube headers for under $300.   I have a 351w with a 4 speed and power steering.  I disconnected the z- bar and took out the spark plugs and jacked up the car front and back.  35 minutes later i was bolting up the headers.  They fit perfectly, look great and were easy to install, and even though the drivers side took a little wiggling to get in, it wasn't difficult at all. I have about a 1/4 space from the flange to my floor boards.   I spent more time on the Pypes exhaust system as I had to fab a few bends to fit up correctly. 

I also did not have any trouble with my long tube headers on a 302.  I have rack and pinion steering and an AOD tranny, and neither created any complications.  Maybe we were both lucky with the ones we chose?  

I of course spoke to soon as of my first writing I hadn't installed my z bar.  Lesson learned...a 351w z-bar is different from a 302 z bar (which looks like a 302 bar would work).  My 351 bar fits but will not allow the lower rod to hook up as it it pressed against the header.  I am going to pull it out and modify my bar so it will work.