Flanders

shorty headers in 351W, P/S, 4-spd

I've searched on here and there seems to be all sorts of answers :) so I'll be good and specific with my question.

I've got a stock 351W (1969, of course!), power steering, stock clutch z-bar with my 4-spd.  My exhaust manifold has a crack in it, so I was debating replacing with some shorty headers.

What will fit with my configuration?  Hedman says "some modification to clutch linkage may be required", and I read on here that JBA shorties don't work with stock power steering unit.

Any other comments?  I'd like to be able to go click-click-click-order and then bolt it right on :)

mustangstofear: do you have a link?  On BBK offroad's website, I can only select years back to 1983 for exhaust parts.

nymustang1969: thanks! Any change you have a product #?  I'm looking on summit:

1655S: for cable clutch (applications say z-bar modification may be required)

1653S: application also says z-bar modification could be required.

Which of the above parts am I looking for?  1655, or 1653?

I have the 1653S headers on a 1969 Mach 1, 351W, 4sp with factory Z-bar clutch linkage, and Borgeson power steering.  The headers fit fine.  Before going with Borgeson power steering I tried reinstalling my stock power steering.  I noticed the drivers side collector dumped almost directly on top of the power steering ram.  With 2-1/2" exhaust it didn't look like there was enough space to easily route the exhaust through there.  With the stock Z-bar and no power steering ram there is a lot of space for the exhaust.  nymustang1969 got exhaust to fit on his with stock P/S and stock clutch linkage so I'm sure it can be done.  Maybe he has a picture of it.  I'm curious how it all fits together.

I used the 1653S headers and the matching JBA H pipe. It was a close fit where the H pipe goes over the top of the slave cylinder though. I have a friend that owns an iron work shop and he made me a slave cylinder drop bracket that lowers the slave cylinder about 1/2 inch. Fits well now. At the time I spoke with JBA technical support  and they claim the stock bracket should have worked, but it was too tight in my car.

Straight from JBA:

The difference is the driver side. 

For your application the 1653S is the correct header. If you bought our Z-bar you would need to worry about any modifications. I have attached the instruction sheet that will give you more details about the Z-bars. 

The 1655S will not clear the factory Z-bar.  

Looks like I'll give it a shot...  Thanks all for feedback!

I have the Hedmann shorties with a 351W based stroker and a C-6.  I used adjustable motor mounts and they fit nicely even with my Borgeson steering box.

Details on my 1970 convertible build thread.

IMG_0628.JPG