Rich Ackermann

My new 1970 M-Code Mach 1 Project

On 2/22/2020 at 5:26 AM, Hux said:

BTW after seeing your paint in colour I have flipped on whether I stay with the original white.

I have always had a soft spot for the oranges...and as I am not staying true to the build sheet - adding shaker, tach dash and sport deck seat and converting to toploader (because that is what I want) I dont think the colour change will make much difference to the value.

Unless you have a rare model that deserves a concours restoration,  I say build the way you want it. 

19 hours ago, Rich Ackermann said:

Unless you have a rare model that deserves a concours restoration,  I say build the way you want it. 

Definitely not rare...just another M code Mach 1 in reality.  Get those Mach 1 trims on so I can get a look at good it looks with them on!!!!  

What wheels are you doing...I have the Transam Race Engineering minilites...17x8 and 17x9.5.

On 2/24/2020 at 5:29 AM, Hux said:

Definitely not rare...just another M code Mach 1 in reality.  Get those Mach 1 trims on so I can get a look at good it looks with them on!!!!  

What wheels are you doing...I have the Transam Race Engineering minilites...17x8 and 17x9.5.

Going with American Racing VN501 Gloss Black Machined Wheels Front: 17x8 and Rear: 17x9.0. Tires... Front: BF GOODRICH G-FORCE COMP-2 SIZE: 245/45ZR 17 (9.6” WIDE X 25.7” TALL) and Rear: SIZE: 275/40ZR 17 (10.8” WIDE X 25.7” TALL).

I would have preferred to go with American Racing VN500 Vintage 500 Black Painted Wheels. They have a bit more polish to them and are the closest to the original Magnum 500s that I could find in the larger sizes. They have a 17x9.5 which I would prefer, but the cost about $800 more per set. I just could not bring myself to spending that much more for them.

American Racing VN501 Wheels.png

American Racing VN500 Wheels.png

Check your tire heights mate.  Not sure if that would be correct for the front.  I was looking at same size front but rear as 275/40 17 and both are about the same (its mm for us but from memory just under 26”). 

Even still you will have a height difference of almost an inch which might look odd dont you think?

3 hours ago, Hux said:

Check your tire heights mate.  Not sure if that would be correct for the front.  I was looking at same size front but rear as 275/40 17 and both are about the same (its mm for us but from memory just under 26”). 

Even still you will have a height difference of almost an inch which might look odd dont you think?

Hux, Thanks for correcting me. I mistakenly looked at my old notes which I had different tire sizes. I have corrected my original post. Thanks again for keeping honest.

21 hours ago, Rich Ackermann said:

Hux, Thanks for correcting me. I mistakenly looked at my old notes which I had different tire sizes. I have corrected my original post. Thanks again for keeping honest.

Hi mate just wanted to make sure you weren’t off on a weird tangent.  We dont have anything like you guys for the range of sizes available so we get stuck with basic dimensions.  I love your build and really look forward to seeing it progress

Okay I am looking for honest feedback here.....

The chrome on my taillight bezels is cracked and pitted. Can't find nice originals for a decent price and repros are about $70 a piece, so I decided to do something with the crappy ones I have. Having them re-chromed is out, and chrome paint looks, well like paint and not chrome.  I kind of like the Boss all black look, but I am not building a boss. Trying to stay close to a Mach I look with the wide rocker moldings and the black honey comb tail panel. So I decade to try painting them black (Boss like), but then bring in the body color to ascent the three light portals and break up the all black look. So here is the result...

You won't hurt my feelings if you don't like them or think they look cheap. Honest opinions are what I am after....

20200305_121651.jpg

20200305_121856.jpg

20200305_122204.jpg

20200305_150823.jpg

I like the look, I think it gives the tail a slight modern touch.

One thought, I hope  you used a good quality paint and did a good prep job so it will last. Otherwise, looks great!

Not for me. I have a Calypso car and I'll be doing mine flat black. 

But, I always tell people I build my cars to suit me not them so if you like it do it. I think it will stand out from the chrome and black ones for sure.

5 hours ago, smh00n said:

Not for me. I have a Calypso car and I'll be doing mine flat black. 

But, I always tell people I build my cars to suit me not them so if you like it do it. I think it will stand out from the chrome and black ones for sure.

I agree, build it they way you like it. That said, I value others opinions/reactions to my ideas sometimes I get better ideas from other folks feedback. . Are you also painting the tail panel and trunk lid black like the Boss?

14 hours ago, RogerC said:

I like the look, I think it gives the tail a slight modern touch.

One thought, I hope  you used a good quality paint and did a good prep job so it will last. Otherwise, looks great!

I believe I did sand and prep them well. I passenger side bezel really is in bad shape (bent and cracked) , so I will look for another one that I can refinish.

Question, should I also paint the upper and lower bright work trim on the honey comb panel black to match the bezels? Thoughts?

I think it could look good if you blacked out the chrome on the center section or blacked out the orange on the lights but as it is it looks like 2 different parts put on the same car.

5 hours ago, copb8 said:

I think it could look good if you blacked out the chrome on the center section or blacked out the orange on the lights but as it is it looks like 2 different parts put on the same car.

I agree, black out the chrome on the center piece.

10 hours ago, Rich Ackermann said:

I agree, build it they way you like it. That said, I value others opinions/reactions to my ideas sometimes I get better ideas from other folks feedback. . Are you also painting the tail panel and trunk lid black like the Boss?

Mine is a grabber so the tail panel is black but trunk body colour

A723B1AE-C238-49EB-A7A6-8980C7E8A27A.jpeg

14 hours ago, smh00n said:

Mine is a grabber so the tail panel is black but trunk body colour

A723B1AE-C238-49EB-A7A6-8980C7E8A27A.jpeg

The chrome and inner argent paint on my bezels are/were in terrible condition. If I had nice bezels, I would just stick with the stock look with the honeycomb panel. Thanks

23 hours ago, RogerC said:

I agree, black out the chrome on the center piece.

How about this.... I used a mat-clear to flattened the black on the bezels and did the same on the moldings on the honeycomb panel... I agree it is looks better. The bezels appear a bit duller than before. Look past the overall poor quality of the finish on the passenger side bezel. Its cracked and in bad shape and is serving as my experimental unit. Once I decide how I want it, I am going to replace it anyway.

20200307_084340x.jpg

20200307_084346x.jpg

20200307_175534.jpg

20 hours ago, Machspeed said:

Don't care for it either, Rich. I'd just go with a color that matches the honeycomb panel. Paint looks great, buddy! I'm jealous....lol!!!

Thanks. I have now used the same black paint and mat-clear on all three bezel, honeycomb and the moldings.