MUST

hood scoop turn signal with LED bulbs

ok guys, simple question...

I would like to replace the bulbs of the hood scoop turn signal with LED.

According the www it is a 1895 bulb. I bought a 1895 LED version on ebay. Unfortunately, the version is a bit too small. Did any of you do that? Which LED did you use exactly?

Thanks & BR
Tom

The 1895's are also known as BA9 (bayonet base).

I've bought a bunch of LED bulbs on eBay. I got more than a few duds, and it takes a while to learn what to look for (as well as some luck and some trial-and-error).  

Size, shape, and brightness are all over the map. Compare the physical, electrical, and brightness spec's and look for the brightest chips that will fit in your application. I've found some very good ones but the vendors come and go so fast that even if I named one they probably aren't around any more or have changed their name.

The other alternative is to buy from the big-name vendors who have already done the legwork for you. Removes the guess-work, but of course you'll pay for that.

It could be more trouble than it is worth.   I use regular bulbs and I do not ever remember having them fail, but I am sure they have in the 34 years I have had my car.  My point is, that for something that only requires replacement every 10 years or so, and is cheap and easy to do, why bother wtih LED?     I'm just making the suggestion... 

2 hours ago, danno said:

My point is, that for something that only requires replacement every 10 years or so, and is cheap and easy to do, why bother wtih LED? 

Heres my reasoning:

1. The car has 41 total lights

2. Excluding the headlights (there will probably never be LEDs that are DOT approved), the incandescent lights eat up 26.42 amps. LEDs would consume only 4.51A. That's an 83% amperage savings. Yes I know they won't all be on at once, and I know what will be on when I'm driving at night.

3. The stock alternator is what 35A-38A? Even with the change to LEDs I still need to change to a 95A alternator just to run the stuff I want to upgrade. I won't be running radiator cooling fans because that's another 22A. I will add EFI, an electric fuel pump, power windows, improve the radio output, halogen head lights, MSD 6AL, cruise control, transmission control, and various other amperage sucking devices.

4. I've run the numbers and the only way not to upgrade to a 130A alternator (which would require a serpentine belt system and electric cooling fans) is to eliminate the incandescent lights. I'm pretty passionate about keeping the stock look, and a serpentine system is definitely not a stock look.