Sign in to follow this  
very fat and very dumb

I Fried the Alternator Wiring Harness

So I started the Mach for the first time yesterday. After a very short time the wires going to the alternator started smoking, I shut it down but it was too late. Copper is showing on both sides of the alternator wiring connector.  I have a few questions.

- What might have caused this?

-Do I have to pull out the entire harness to figure out how much damage might have been done?

- When I get the harness fixed how do I ensure this doesn't repeat itself?

Thanks

That sucks. Your going to do some disassembly though. Pull the Alternator  and pay attention to the harness routing to see if was pinched/crushed as the burned wire will originate from that point and will be obvious. From there a visual inspection of the wrapped harness portion where the loose burned wires enter. The thing about a burned wires wrapped in a bundle they will transfer there heat to the other wires as a heat sink and can fake you out as the harness wrap can appear ok. The damage can show and be a couple feet away. So unwrapping for inspection is important. Some pics would be helpful before and after disassembly also.

Couple of thing we need to know, there could be an internal issue with your alternator, maybe the diode pack, what size is your alternator( suggest you have it check by an auto spark), what size gauge wire is the wire that burnt out and have you any idea what you current draw is, bearing in mind that upgrading to electric fans can cause a large large increase in current draw. 

Yes, double check the engine block ground wire to the firewall, like Gordonr suggested.  If that is gone, bad, the connections to it are loose, or corrosion on it, then this can happen.  This is an additional ground wire that is really no supposed to carry that much current, and yours did.   That wire will need to be replaced,  the perfect job for Randy (midlife).   

If the wire is still connected, you can still use it for testing things.  If the car runs fine when the lights and fan are off, and the battery keeps charging, then nothing else is damaged.  Turn on the fan to high, and turn on the high beam headlights, and that wire will probably warm up.   That means the engine ground wire to the firewall is bad. 

Although this will make me look like a complete moron I think it's important to disclose what happened. I had the ground wire on the alternator connected to the stator by mistake.  The harness is in the mail to Midlife so he can bail my dumb ass out.  The good news is that while digging through my stuff looking for the old alternator I found what appears to be an original alternator (rounded castings instead of square), it's currently being rebuilt.

3 hours ago, RPM said:

Yeah, thanks for posting the cause. So many people never do. Just chalk it up to the cost of education, cause education is not free. We've all been there brother.

I believe the statement goes something like this...

Wisdom comes from experience; Experience comes from making mistakes.  How many mistakes have you made?