Cantedvalve

Solid state regulator for gauges?

So, I started the engine up the other day. Everything seems good... except none of my engine gauges work. Oil and temp mainly.  So I tried grounding the leads, and the gauges didn’t move.  So it would appear an issue other than the senders.  Then today I was working under the dash fishing some RCA cables, and I happen to set my arm on something hot... not burning hot, but hot enough to notice.  Turns out it is the purple resistor wire that feeds the constant voltage regulator.  I’m guessing that isn’t abnormal... seeing as it is a resistor wire.

Assuming my wiring is correct, the only thing I can think it would be is the voltage regulator on the gauge panel.  I’m gonna pull it apart...again... and take another look around.  Has anyone bought one of the solid state regulators?  Do they work well?

To the best of my knowledge, there is not a resistor wire in the circuit for the constant voltage regulator.  If it is a factory tach IP car then there are two resistor wires.  (1) for the ignition coil from the tachometer.  (2) one 15 ohm resistor wire parallel to the charge indicator light.  The non-tach IP cars have only the resistor wire for the ignition coil.

Does the fuel gauge work?  If so, then the constant voltage regulator is working and I'd suspect bad connections to the printed circuit panel, the printed circuit panel, or bad connections between the gauges and printed circuit panel.

30 minutes ago, 1969_Mach1 said:

To the best of my knowledge, there is not a resistor wire in the circuit for the constant voltage regulator.  If it is a factory tach IP car then there are two resistor wires.  (1) for the ignition coil from the tachometer.  (2) one 15 ohm resistor wire parallel to the charge indicator light.  The non-tach IP cars have only the resistor wire for the ignition coil.

Does the fuel gauge work?  If so, then the constant voltage regulator is working and I'd suspect bad connections to the printed circuit panel, the printed circuit panel, or bad connections between the gauges and printed circuit panel.

No, your statement is incorrect; in 1969, Ford introduced a resistor wire (9.7 ohms) between the ACC power and the CVR input in the main underdash harness.  This resistor wire helps to regulate the voltage fluctuations of the CVR and reduce the voltage seen on the input side, which I suspect was implemented to improve CVR life/reliability.  This resistor wire stayed in the design at least through 1973, if not later.

2 hours ago, 1969_Mach1 said:

Regardless, since I have to take it apart again anyway (to at least check that my wiring is right), I’m gonna put a solid state one in.  I haven’t hooked up the fuel gauge up at the sender yet.  Forgot to do that when I was under there.

I'm not retired, but re-treaded.  I am planning on retiring from my day job in May of next year.  Then I can spend more time on the forums, answering questions in a cynical and/or humorous tone. 

Just an update: after 8 weeks, I just now got Internet and phone service restored at the house.  Still no cable service, but who wants to watch The Voice?

11 hours ago, Midlife said:

Just an update: after 8 weeks, I just now got Internet and phone service restored at the house.  Still no cable service, but who wants to watch The Voice?

Really glad to hear it. How did your garage and Midlife (the car) fare through it all?

Midlife the Car was sold about 4 years ago when my back gave out.  The garage and the house are in similar conditions: no ceilings, but water, power, and Internet exist.  Very little damage to tools and equipment, fortunately.

On 12/6/2018 at 12:30 PM, Midlife said:

Midlife the Car was sold about 4 years ago when my back gave out.  The garage and the house are in similar conditions: no ceilings, but water, power, and Internet exist.  Very little damage to tools and equipment, fortunately.

I'm sorry, I obviously missed the sale of the car. I don't surf the Mustang web nearly as much as I once did. Glad you're ok!!