Cantedvalve

Why are oil pans so darn expensive?

Hah. look on ebay Australia and see what we get charged. 150 bucks is a deal compared to the money being asked for some importers. I bought a Boss 302 sump from Summit for decent money - slightly  more capacity, baffled and a pick up included. But I guess you have a Cleveland....

16 hours ago, Cantedvalve said:

My oil pan is banged up and rusty... not sure why.  Anyway, I was looking for a new one, but they are priced as if they are made of gold!  Seriously... $150 for a stock replacement?  $250 for a deep sump?

I've been looking on ebay for a cheap one to modify. I've found most want almost the same money for a used one as new plus $30 or more in shipping. I have found a new one at a decent price including shipping. I don't really need one, I have 2, one on the engine and an oem version with a sump baffle.

Not sure about the quality & fit.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Front-Sump-Black-Oil-Pan-Stock-Capacity-Cleveland-1970-1982-Ford-351C-M-400/223076957692?hash=item33f06c3dfc:g:4xoAAOSwrVRbWhM1:rk:2:pf:0

I think the main reason for high cost is limited suppliers.  There's not a huge demand, so hardly anyone makes one.  Also, it's a pretty dramatic stamping from sheetmetal, and to get that right with a perfect sealing edge around the pan is not necessarily easy.  It does seem like a ridiculous price, but hardly anyone has the capabilities to make them new.

On 11/29/2018 at 12:20 PM, RogerC said:

I've been looking on ebay for a cheap one to modify. I've found most want almost the same money for a used one as new plus $30 or more in shipping. I have found a new one at a decent price including shipping. I don't really need one, I have 2, one on the engine and an oem version with a sump baffle.

I’ve been down the eBay route... it didn’t go well.  Was supposed to be a stock replacement, but wouldn’t even fit on the engine.

On 11/28/2018 at 4:51 PM, Cantedvalve said:

My oil pan is banged up and rusty... not sure why.  Anyway, I was looking for a new one, but they are priced as if they are made of gold!  Seriously... $150 for a stock replacement?  $250 for a deep sump?

Do,you,Kant to make,it a aviad style T sump pan?

i make the kit to,c you nevertheless your pan

clean off the rust, cut off the bottom and weld on the kit.

On ‎11‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 10:11 PM, smh00n said:

Hah. look on ebay Australia and see what we get charged. 150 bucks is a deal compared to the money being asked for some importers. I bought a Boss 302 sump from Summit for decent money - slightly  more capacity, baffled and a pick up included. But I guess you have a Cleveland....

How can that be?  You guys have been living off the 351C for a lot longer than we have over here in the States.

Well it would be more expensive without one, all that oil and burned up parts on the ground. 

Maybe it is like a divorce, expensive but worth it. Or so I have heard... Please excuse my it is time for my cough syrup. The big spoons are a tsp right?

On 12/2/2018 at 7:21 AM, Cantedvalve said:

Yeah… you are gonna have to repeat that because I didn't understand the first two sentences.

From what I did understand... you make a kit to make it a T-sump?  Got pics or a website?

Sorry about that. Dam autocorrect 

i make a kit that you cut the bottom off your oilpan and make it an AVIAD racing style pan

perfect for pans that have damaged sumps 

basic kit is $69

4F4525BF-D363-498F-8672-CEDABDA5C059.jpeg

On 12/2/2018 at 7:21 AM, Cantedvalve said:

Yeah… you are gonna have to repeat that because I didn't understand the first two sentences.

From what I did understand... you make a kit to make it a T-sump?  Got pics or a website?

73E323E5-3372-41EF-A322-A0CD39958F22.jpeg

On 12/3/2018 at 2:27 AM, Cantedvalve said:

How can that be?  You guys have been living off the 351C for a lot longer than we have over here in the States.

We stopped putting Windsors in Falcons in 1969. So heaps of Cleveland gear, not so much Windsor.

On 12/4/2018 at 7:33 PM, Rsanter said:

Sorry about that. Dam autocorrect 

i make a kit that you cut the bottom off your oilpan and make it an AVIAD racing style pan

perfect for pans that have damaged sumps 

basic kit is $69

Do you have a website or how do we buy these?

I'm not in the market right this minute, as I am still head over heals into my Pinto, but I would like this for my 351C soon.

Thanks,

Russ

9 hours ago, russ69coupe said:

Do you have a website or how do we buy these?

I'm not in the market right this minute, as I am still head over heals into my Pinto, but I would like this for my 351C soon.

Thanks,

Russ

I do not have a website, I have been selling the kit on eBay but I can also sell direct here 

i am also building a few complete pans for people making Shelby clones