SWPruett

Front Fender Bolt @ Upper Door Hinge?

Anybody have a line on a supplier for the front fender mounting bolt (5/16 x 18 x 1.125" w/ dog point and 1 1/16" attached washer) that is located just in front of the upper door hinge and attaches the top rear of the fender to the outboard cowl brackets?  I have several AMK fender bolt kits on hand and not one of them includes this bolt!  I have scoured the NPD catalog and find nothing even close.  Anyone else run into this?  Thanks in advance for any insight!

How is it different from the other similar bolts holding body panels on, length? I never noticed it was different and used one of many I had that fit. Learn something new ever day. 

Thanks fellas!  It is interesting the differences in our experiences.  The last few 70's I have pirated for parts have had unique bolts in this location that are NOT the same as the rest of the fender bolts.  Even my 70 Boss 302 has these larger 1 1/16" O.D. washer variety in these locations.  To me it makes sense as _some_ versions of the regular fender bolt washers can almost drop right through the square cowl bracket hole in just the right alignment.  Brian's picture above shows what I call the "regular" washer fender bolt which works ok, but the bolts I am on the lookout for have a washer diameter that covers almost the entire square bracket hole no matter where in the adjustment range it is.

Like many things Mustang, there is a high possibility that things were substituted at some point in their lives, whether at the factory as a temporary fix or with other owners.  Here is an example of one of the pirated bolts after a trip across the wire wheel.  I feel fairly confident that this bolt was original to the donor car as it had one layer of factory color on it with no evidence it had moved in nearly 50 years.

Mind you, I am NOT interested in concours discussion at all, but these bolts really make this particular fastening job a lot easier and particularly cleaner in this area.  Picky I know, but what else am I gunna do?!  8^)

Thanks for the ideas and discussion!  And if anybody knows what these bolts "properly" fit based on markings and description, I'd love to know!

2018-11-23 19.59.10.jpg

I removed these from a 64 1/2 not long ago ,they are actually normally used on the wind wings inside the door but they held the top inside the fender . I have seen a lot of them used on 64- 66 but not always ,it is like they used what ever was available in certian places . I have seen the larger head washer bolts used on the earlier trunk hinges ,and at the bottom bolt where the fender bolts to the rocker as well

20181125_115748.jpg

5 hours ago, Ridge Runner said:

I removed these from a 64 1/2 not long ago ,they are actually normally used on the wind wings inside the door but they held the top inside the fender . I have seen a lot of them used on 64- 66 but not always ,it is like they used what ever was available in certian places . I have seen the larger head washer bolts used on the earlier trunk hinges ,and at the bottom bolt where the fender bolts to the rocker as well

20181125_115748.jpg

I have been tempted to use these bolts in the past as they have the large, albeit funky, washer diameter.  Thanks for that picture!  I never thought to look at the trunk lid mounting screws, but that is a good idea.  I will look at those a bit closer, but I wanted to say those might be 1/4" x 20 thread which wouldn't quite get it done.  I will look those over and report back!

Thanks Fellas!

2 hours ago, SWPruett said:

I have been tempted to use these bolts in the past as they have the large, albeit funky, washer diameter.  Thanks for that picture!  I never thought to look at the trunk lid mounting screws, but that is a good idea.  I will look at those a bit closer, but I wanted to say those might be 1/4" x 20 thread which wouldn't quite get it done.  I will look those over and report back!

Thanks Fellas!

Yeah ,the 69-70 is 1/4 inch bolts at the hinges ,the 65 -68 were 5/16

On 11/25/2018 at 9:45 PM, Cantedvalve said:

Surprised you dont clean them up and replate them @SWPruett... I’ve seen your blog, I know you can do it!

Ha!  That's pretty well EXACTLY what I had in mind!  But it sure would be easier if I could find 'em new and save me some time and trouble!  Thanks for the compliment!

22 hours ago, Ridge Runner said:

Yeah ,the 69-70 is 1/4 inch bolts at the hinges ,the 65 -68 were 5/16

Well dang!  But that does bring up an interesting thought:  Does that mean the 65-68 trunk lid hinge bolts match these fender bolts?!  I certainly ain't too proud to pirate from a different bloodline to get a supply of "new" screws!

On Sunday, November 25, 2018 at 6:45 PM, Cantedvalve said:

Surprised you dont clean them up and replate them @SWPruett... I’ve seen your blog, I know you can do it!

I have about 5  5 gallon buckets full of nothing but Mustang bolts ,i usually have a bucket plated  a time then dig out a matching set of bolts to finish up a car . I used to hit the wrecking yards just for bolts ,the two yards we had here used to let collect them for no charge

1 hour ago, SWPruett said:

Well dang!  But that does bring up an interesting thought:  Does that mean the 65-68 trunk lid hinge bolts match these fender bolts?!  I certainly ain't too proud to pirate from a different bloodline to get a supply of "new" screws!

Same bolts ,but the heads have diferent markings . 65 actually have star washers 

21 hours ago, Ridge Runner said:

Same bolts ,but the heads have diferent markings . 65 actually have star washers 

Thank you sir!  I will gather a few sets of those and see how they work out!