Floridastang

Steering wheel alignment

Is anyone aware of an alignment mark on the steering wheel and steering shaft that should be matched to properly align the steering wheel spoke down. So as an example if I have 4 turns full left to full right, two tuns should should center the the front wheels. If they are not is a tie rod adjustment. Is there a mark on the shaft that should match the steering wheel in that position. I cant find one on the steering wheel.

As far as I know, there is none (the pitman arm has though). You can put the steering wheel on the shaft any way you want. If the steering wheel is off too much, the tie rod adjustment may not be enough to center the wheel. Just have the front wheel alignment done, center the front tires and remove and re install the steering wheel back on center. Make sure you reposition your turn signal canceling thing that goes on the steering shaft so it will cancel evenly between right and left turns.

15 minutes ago, Midlife said:

On my 66, there is a small vertical mark on the top of the steering shaft (flat section) to demark the center position.  I thought all cars from this era had such a mark.

IIRC my 69 Coupe has the same mark that Midlife speaks of.