Ridge Runner

Ever want to punch one of these guys ?

So on face book ...i know its face book .

Someone is asking about the dynacorn bodies ,i chime in and tell him if you want a fast back why not build your own from a coupe and save your self some money and extra work straightening up a dynacorn body . This guy jumps in and tells me i am going to kill someone building these conversions welding them to gether with a mig instead of pinch welding ,he is a metalergist and he knows better. 

Well i do a search for BAR OF CALIFORNIA and find one of the guys from BAR has written a book on the subject of welding automitive bodys ,here is a small screen shot from a long page 

Screenshot_20181114-170746.png

Now i can tell you ,level is level and square is square no mater how you look at it . I not only level the floor structure on solid stands ,i also use a Bosh laser ,where ford used a skid as the datum i use a laser . ,i also use a very good fast back for my blue print to get my measurements ,call it a 3D blueprint . If measurements are transfered from the fast back body to my conversion it will be the same when finished . 

So ,what really pisses me off is...every body shop and repair shop in the US uses a mig to weld frames ,repair door jambs and other structural welding ...how the hell am i goint to kill someone ? I was a certified welder for 15 years ,i worked a Diablo nuclear power plant ,i worked at Edwards airforce base on the jet propulsion lab welding structural supports with a mig ,and nearly every major building from Bakersfield to Fresno  ,these guys really piss me off 

Now i have been thinking about this idiot ,and i kind of think he just possibly may be from one of these new shops building the new Mustang bodies ,just somthing about him .

I have to tell you ,you can build your own body ,with a title even though it will show as a coupe ,and for way cheaper than you can buy one . And you do not have to go through the crap of licensing a new body ...witch by the way is also fake ,so do not be afraid to do it ...end of very long pissed off rant .

I have had to pull apart cars that had sheetmetal replaced with a mig welder ,they do not come apart easily ,you may even have to cut the panel in pieces to remove it . never once have i seen a well welded panel or structural area crack ,break and i worked on an off road race team from 84 to 95 ,i had to replace panels every other race . If mig welding a body causes anyone any fear ...do you own a air compressor ? What is the max pressure ,150 lbs? Think about that ,that is 150 pounds per square inch and the tank is mig welded at all the seams. You will never have a stress point like that on your mustang

Wow, the idiocy with that guy. I used to work on garbage trucks (Waste Management). Learned mig & stick welding ojt. Currently design 15,000 lb jet engine and gas turbine engine shipping stands and containers with loaded weight at 30,000 lbs +. These are 99% mig welded and tested to 6g of total weight downforce. These carry engines from GE, P&W, RR and other engines & transmissions from Oshkosh. Dude has his head up his arse.

Adding the armoring company I used to work for designing armored truck configurations and discreet armor packages for luxury cars. These consisted of mig welded 304SS, Domex and Armox armor plating.

I would almost bet he works for one of the new Mustang body makers ,doesnt want anyone to know they can do the very same thing using a coupe platform and new sheet metal for a fraction of the price they ask ,and you will have a title ,he just protested a bit to much and said to many stupid things . I bet with a bit of simple searching i could find out what shop 

I've been fooling with cars for a few years now. I've come to feel I'd very much prefer modification/repair work done by someone who actually CARES about what he is doing along with having the skills. There's a pretty big difference between a workman and a craftsman and their end products.

The reason factories do spot welding is that's it cheap and fast. Basically the minimum necessary to produce parts quickly. People that work in such situations tend to take the same mindset, don't do what's best, do what keeps the production numbers up and keeps the bosses happy with the least effort on their part.

Due to my unscientific and anecdotal observations of what happens in crashes and from taking stuff apart, I'm not personally terribly impressed by "factory spot welds". 

Went back on face book and called him out ,he didnt respond this time ,i am almost sure he is from one of the shops building the new bodies .

Just imagine everyone that has had to replace frame rails or do extensive repairststructural parts of their cars , i have yet to see a car that someone has been killed in because it was welded with a mig .

I have removed a lot of panels ,and structural metal from cars ,and i can tell you they come apart much easier with factory spot welds than a part that has been mig welded

Jim, let it go, you'll live longer :)  Those who know, know. And they  know he's an idiot. How many circle track stock cars are NOT mig welded? Our cars were not originally built on a jig. Those trolly carts weren't jigs. And THANK GOD they don't build them like they used to.

On 11/23/2018 at 8:31 PM, GypsyR said:

I've been fooling with cars for a few years now. I've come to feel I'd very much prefer modification/repair work done by someone who actually CARES about what he is doing along with having the skills. There's a pretty big difference between a workman and a craftsman and their end products.

The reason factories do spot welding is that's it cheap and fast. Basically the minimum necessary to produce parts quickly. People that work in such situations tend to take the same mindset, don't do what's best, do what keeps the production numbers up and keeps the bosses happy with the least effort on their part.

Due to my unscientific and anecdotal observations of what happens in crashes and from taking stuff apart, I'm not personally terribly impressed by "factory spot welds". 

I don't know if I ever read this, or forgot about reading it, but it is dead nuts on.

On 1/9/2019 at 1:54 PM, Ridge Runner said:

Went back on face book and called him out ,he didnt respond this time ,i am almost sure he is from one of the shops building the new bodies .

Just imagine everyone that has had to replace frame rails or do extensive repairststructural parts of their cars , i have yet to see a car that someone has been killed in because it was welded with a mig .

I have removed a lot of panels ,and structural metal from cars ,and i can tell you they come apart much easier with factory spot welds than a part that has been mig welded

When I worked for Watson Engineering, we also did the build on the Ford FR500R and FR500S factory race cars.  The company that Ford chose to do the design on these cars, Multimatic Motorsports in Canada, who also builds the new Ford GT, specified that ALL seams that are spot welded MUST be reinforced by MIG process.  We would use a cut-off wheel to slice through the outer panel into the inner panel in between each and every spot weld. Every spot weld, even the windshield opening, rear window opening, door jambs, rocker panels, inner roof seams, rear wheel well openings, Everything had to have 1 Inch long MIG welds in between the spot welds. The FIA certified engineers at MultiMatic explained that even with the full roll cage for rigidity, with ONLY Spot Welds on the body, these road race cars would ONLY last about 2 years.  With the additional MIG welds they would last 7+ years before the car would be "too loose" to continue to be competitive.  Also, working in the collision repair industry, I-CAR standards state that MIG process is perfectly suitable for steel frame and body welding.

This rant is to further support Ridge's assertion that MIG is Much Better than SPOT Welds!!!  

.2008 FR500S Race Car.jpg

2 hours ago, Ridge Runner said:

If you have ever looked close at a spot weld ,it is pinched half way through the metal ,cant be strong at all

Exactly...   The pressure that is applied while welding only affects that exact point.  I have seen spot welds where the metal on both sides of the weld was puckered out because of excessive pressure.    The spot welders that I have seen in collision shops don't apply enough pressure to assure a good spot weld,  leaving a very weakly joined panel or seam...   With MIG there is never a question as to the validity of the weld.

On ‎1‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 8:19 AM, Ridge Runner said:

Yeah ,i know the guy is a dip wad . I just think he was trying to make it look like the onlyone who should be doing somthing like this should be one of the new body builders using a spot welder only ,i wasnt going to let him get away with it 

I always thought it was 'dick wad'. You learn something new every day on this forum.

I think as long as there is enough weld area and in the right locations, MIG welding is just fine.  The guy that did the metal and body on my Mach 1 used a MIG welder to replace the shock towers and right front inner fender panel.  Nothing wrong with it.  He simply used plug welds where spot welds originally were and continuous beads elsewhere where needed.  I'm fine with it.