Hey guys, so I got the mustang out from storage and getting it ready to be a daily driver. The wiring harness is pretty bad, some moron did a hack job on it, so I'm going through the whole car and replacing what is needed. Starting with the dash harness, I have a question on the ignition switch wiring. Im not sure where this cut wire {picture} goes to. I found another cut wire that looks like it could go to it, it goes to the firewall plug. I cant find any 69 coupe wiring diagrams for the car anywhere. There are also a lot of wires that are unplugged and cut, so a wiring harness would be greatly appreciated, or if somewhere can help me sort out this mess.

46514388_794491444226516_9064004938874486784_n.jpg.c3ce8034962e439b88232b95d25ee8a5.jpg

46508233_489625041545208_4381065756603842560_n.jpg

46514685_254935511865370_6334426490666483712_n.jpg

46444448_592141824575254_7063618277175459840_n.jpg

46453218_506932639790004_1471949076898512896_n.jpg

46479282_218992578992452_9209783636503560192_n.jpg

46480363_350104755753597_4600445582207614976_n.jpg

It also looks like this wire says it has a resister in it, does anyone know what size resister I would need to add in? I ohmed out the wire and im getting 1.8ohms. Thinking that resistance is so low that it could just be crap on the wires since its old. 

i can't tell for sure but if it is a light pink wire it goes to the positive side of the coil and only has around 9 volts. the wire itself is a resistor, so there is no additional resistor in the wire. the longer that wire is, the more resistance it has kinda weird but that;s what it does.

if you have an aftermarket ignition like an msd or pertronix etc, 12 volts is typically required so you can just connect a piece of regular wire to the short stub of the ignition wire coming off the plug for the ignition switch then run that to the positive side of the coil.

scott drake sells xlnt wring diagrams. forum member midlife may also have one but i think he has his hands full for a while fixing his house in florida that got damaged by the hurricane.

2 hours ago, barnett468 said:

i can't tell for sure but if it is a light pink wire it goes to the positive side of the coil and only has around 9 volts. the wire itself is a resistor, so there is no additional resistor in the wire. the longer that wire is, the more resistance it has kinda weird but that;s what it does.

if you have an aftermarket ignition like an msd or pertronix etc, 12 volts is typically required so you can just connect a piece of regular wire to the short stub of the ignition wire coming off the plug for the ignition switch then run that to the positive side of the coil.

scott drake sells xlnt wring diagrams. forum member midlife may also have one but i think he has his hands full for a while fixing his house in florida that got damaged by the hurricane.

That makes a ton of sense. I noticed it has an accel coil and previous owner bypassed the original pink resistor wire and ran a new wire from the coil to the cut ign switch wire. I appreciate the help man. And sucks to hear about all the people going through those disaster, like California as well. 

1 hour ago, aslanefe said:

I have a 69 wiring diagram that some forum member drew. It is too big to post here. PM me your email address and I will email it to you.

Thank you so much, greatly appreciated!!! PeterZavala87@yahoo.com

1 hour ago, Punisher said:

That makes a ton of sense. I noticed it has an accel coil and previous owner bypassed the original pink resistor wire and ran a new wire from the coil to the cut ign switch wire. I appreciate the help man. And sucks to hear about all the people going through those disaster, like California as well. 

yeah, i live in so cal and almost got burned out around 4 different times.

Barnett, I haven't gotten under my dash yet, partly because I have no idea what to look for, but All of the sudden All of my electronics (radio, pw, electric fan, lights etc) come on when I turn the switch to the on position (1/4 turn)...then once I turn the key another 1/4 turn to start and the engine busts off all of my electronics are gone. 

I'm guessing it's a wire that's going to the actual keyed ignition? Sometimes it will work though. Then sometimes the bulb light in the keyed ignition will light up and other times it won't. Feels like something is shorting out, but I don't even know what to look for? 

Punisher, if the under dash harness is that badly butchered up you might want to think about having midlife re-do the harness or purchase a repo from one of the Mustang parts venders.  https://www.cjponyparts.com/cj-classics-underdash-wiring-harness-usa-made-without-tachometer-1969/p/WUD13/ 

Or you could do like a few of the guys here & myself did & completely re-wire the car & eliminate the 50 year old  wiring using an AAW wiring harness kit. 

https://www.americanautowire.com/view-product/1969-ford-mustang/

Thanks guys. I got it figured out. I replaced the bad wiring in the harness and got just about everything working good. there are a couple stray wires but im tracing them with the wiring diagram. 

On ‎11‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 2:23 PM, nickjames138 said:

Punisher, I didn't mean to steal your thunder btw. I'll totally take it to another thread, but it just sounded like I have a related problem. Happy Thanksgiving y'all 

Not a problem at all bro. 

On 11/20/2018 at 9:02 PM, nickjames138 said:

Barnett, I haven't gotten under my dash yet, partly because I have no idea what to look for, but All of the sudden All of my electronics (radio, pw, electric fan, lights etc) come on when I turn the switch to the on position (1/4 turn)...then once I turn the key another 1/4 turn to start and the engine busts off all of my electronics are gone. 

I'm guessing it's a wire that's going to the actual keyed ignition? Sometimes it will work though. Then sometimes the bulb light in the keyed ignition will light up and other times it won't. Feels like something is shorting out, but I don't even know what to look for? 

fyi if anyone else has this issue....It was the ignition Switch! I replaced it and now it works! but as these old cars go...now my electric fan stopped working for some reason. FiTech is sending me a new chip for my handheld and said that should fix the issue since the handheld tells the fan when to turn on.