Floridastang

Power steering

It is usually the valve ,the idler or tie rods ,but normaly the valve . The valve gas presure to both sides ,when you turn your wheel it alows the hydraulics to assist the direction you turn ,there is always some type of play in this valve that causes the wandering ,i havent had one yet that didnt wander some and if it is worn it will wander all over

Florida you are asking if you can add a pressure valve to pump to limit pressure pump makes, right? I believe there is already a valve in the pump to limit pressure when engine rpm goes up.

As ridge said, wondering is because of the ball joint of the PS control valve. If there is too much play in that, wandering increases, limiting the pressure from pump won't help.

Limiting pressure will only decrease the assist/power level.

The ps control valve on my 70 grande has no play and it wandered some. I increased the caster to 6 degrees and it reduced the wandering considerably.

On 11/23/2018 at 4:22 PM, Floridastang said:

can’t add that much caster the wheels rub the forward wheel well

You can use a +3 aftermarket upper control arm or modify your upper control arm yourself and move the ball joint back about 20 millimeters.