nickjames138

Borgeson PS pressure reduction

Hey guy, 

About a year ago I converted my manual steering and factory suspension to Borgeson Power Steering with all Global West suspension. It's a rougher ride, but handles so much better. That's not the point. The point is the steering was so fast now that I couldn't feel the road at all. If I just tap the wheel it's going into the other lane. I've heard about this "Pressure Reduction Kit" you can do to slow down the steering, but everyone I asked said they don't know. Then I called some distributors and they said it's only for a R & P. I don't have a Rack. So, I said screw it I'm going to try it anyway. The kit is super straight forward. I only used 2 "shims" which reduced it from 1350psi to 1100psi and I LOVE IT! The steering is night and day so much better! I probably could've gone to 1000psi. My other car is an AMG, so I'm used to a tight sporty feel and this reduction kit got me closer to feeling like that! 

I just wanted to share in case anyone else doesn't like how fast their Borgeson steering is and wants to tighten it up! If you need any pointers don't hesitate. If I'm giving super outdated info...I apologize. I've been under a rock for 2yrs (raising my Little One!). 

On 11/17/2018 at 12:03 PM, nickjames138 said:

Hey guy, 

About a year ago I converted my manual steering and factory suspension to Borgeson Power Steering with all Global West suspension. It's a rougher ride, but handles so much better. That's not the point. The point is the steering was so fast now that I couldn't feel the road at all. If I just tap the wheel it's going into the other lane. I've heard about this "Pressure Reduction Kit" you can do to slow down the steering, but everyone I asked said they don't know. Then I called some distributors and they said it's only for a R & P. I don't have a Rack. So, I said screw it I'm going to try it anyway. The kit is super straight forward. I only used 2 "shims" which reduced it from 1350psi to 1100psi and I LOVE IT! The steering is night and day so much better! I probably could've gone to 1000psi. My other car is an AMG, so I'm used to a tight sporty feel and this reduction kit got me closer to feeling like that! 

I just wanted to share in case anyone else doesn't like how fast their Borgeson steering is and wants to tighten it up! If you need any pointers don't hesitate. If I'm giving super outdated info...I apologize. I've been under a rock for 2yrs (raising my Little One!). 

Hello nickjames138, I am considering installing the same setup you have in my 70 Mach 1 Cleveland 351C 4v with Manual P/S (e.g. Borgeson, Global West). I understand the Saginaw pump Borgeson uses higher pressure pump than the stock Ford OEM type. By using the Ford pump does not provide as much power assist at low RMPs. Which pump are you using.. the Ford OEM or the Saginaw pump that Borgeson provides with the manual conversion kit?

Second question, Borgeson does not have a P/S pump bracket for their Saginaw pump when installing it on a 351C. March Performance has one that works with the Saginaw on non-A/C cars only. Anyone, find a Saginaw pump bracket that works on a 351C with A/C (either Stock or aftermarket A/C like Classic Air) or is my only option to use the stock Ford pump and brackets with A/C and the Borgeson P/S conversion kit and live with less power assist at low RPMs?

Thanks, Rich