Len69Coupe

Stripped sheet metal holes

Any tips on repairing sheet metal holes that have been stripped. Specifically talking about the door sill holes. Can't really install larger screws I don't think. I've always fixed stripped wood by inserting a toothpick and then installing a screw. I thought about trying to stick a piece of welding wire in the hole and then the screw, but I'm not sure if that work or last. The car is completely stripped right now and I thought maybe weld the holes up and drill them back out. Seems like a PIA though.

Any tips?

You have nailed the correct way of fixing them.  Weld and redrill.  You COULD do an expoxy instead of welding, but if the car is completely stripped, why not do it right?  I will be doing the epoxy as my car is NOT stripped down right now, otherwise I would weld.

Bandaid fixes include some sort of thick but malleable goo that can help old the screw in place.  Maybe larger screws.

Cantedvalve, I was truly hoping there was an easier way, probably because I'm lazy. Not really, LOL.

barnett468, I was thinking going to larger screw wouldn't work because of the size of the hole in the sill plates. Wouldn't a larger screw not fit in the plate properly. I don't know what a Wurth is? Online store?

16 hours ago, mustangstofear said:

We weld them up, and drill the correct  size. Going  with a bigger  screw  looks butt ugly :(

no it does not if you use the screws i mentioned because the head size is not any larger than the original screw. i have installed hundreds of these special oversized screws and many were in concourse mca judged cars.

3 hours ago, Len69Coupe said:

barnett468, I was thinking going to larger screw wouldn't work because of the size of the hole in the sill plates. Wouldn't a larger screw not fit in the plate properly. I don't know what a Wurth is? Online store?

only the special one size over screws i mentioned work and look correct. i will try to find the info for you. the wurth distributor in so cal has them.

40 minutes ago, mustangstofear said:

They don't  state the size from NPD.  We  have a special #8 screw made with a  #6 head. Normally  a #6 head screw cost 7 cents,  these cost us 1.00 each :(  

Why not buy them from NPD, they are $1 for 4 of them.

12 hours ago, Len69Coupe said:

I'm definitely willing to try the screws, as long as they don't look butt ugly like mustangstofear said.

Once again...the screws I mentioned look like the originals. They may also be the same screws that npd is selling but I for one do not know if they are.

On 11/15/2018 at 8:47 AM, barnett468 said:

All you need to do is buy the next size larger screw. WURTH sells them. I have done this over 100 times. Bear in mind that they sell them with two different size head choices.

I did this fix with the cowl vent front edge screws. Easy peasy. As b468 says, the thread portion is larger, but the head remains the same size. On the cowl vent, the holes were big enough that they didn't need to be enlarged. Seems like a pretty simple fix to me.

I found an elegant, but backyard fix for this.  Use the plastic sleeve for drywall screws that you use for hanging pictures, and stuff the sleeve down the enlarged hole.  The sill plate covers up the visual appearance of it, and you can use the original size screw. 

2 hours ago, Midlife said:

I found an elegant, but backyard fix for this.  Use the plastic sleeve for drywall screws that you use for hanging pictures, and stuff the sleeve down the enlarged hole.  The sill plate covers up the visual appearance of it, and you can use the original size screw. 

Excellent solution.  I used this method for one of my ext. door mount mirrors. Brian

35 minutes ago, 1969_Mach1 said:

I might be wrong, but I believe the sill plates use what is called an oval head screw not a flat head screw.

I believe they have their own design sill plates which uses a flat head screw.