Sign in to follow this  
7TCatvert

2013 Mustang seats in a 69 Sportroof

Not sure about the 2013 seats but I installed 2008 seats in my 69 and I would think they are fairly similar. I had to cut out the seat platforms, weld plates to the floor for strength and attach seat tracks to the floor. The newer seats sit too high with the stock seat platforms. 

First of all, hello! New here. This thread is quite interesting for me since I got a -69 last fall that will need a full restoration. The problem is that I'm 6'4" and even though I sit fairly well in the stock seats my hair is rubbing agains the roof.

On 11/13/2018 at 4:16 PM, CG in TX said:

Not sure about the 2013 seats but I installed 2008 seats in my 69 and I would think they are fairly similar. I had to cut out the seat platforms, weld plates to the floor for strength and attach seat tracks to the floor. The newer seats sit too high with the stock seat platforms. 

Was it the -08 seat tracks or the -69? Do you sit lower with the platform removed and new seats?

On 11/14/2018 at 3:38 AM, 7TCatvert said:

I unbolted the 14 stock seat rails.   It looks like I am going to be able to just put square metal across the bottom and bolt the stock rails on to it...the seats are actually lower than stock...

Are they lower as in "new seat+rails vs old seat+rail+platform" or just the actual seats?

Edited by Casgar
I was slightly short

19 hours ago, Casgar said:

First of all, hello! New here. This thread is quite interesting for me since I got a -69 last fall that will need a full restoration. The problem is that I'm 6"4' and even though I sit fairly well in the stock seats my hair is rubbing agains the roof.

Was it the -08 seat tracks or the -69? Do you sit lower with the platform removed and new seats? 

Are they lower as in "new seat+rails vs old seat+rail+platform" or just the actual seats?

I test fit the 08 seats with 08 tracks on top of the original seat platforms and it sat too high and I am only 5'9". The same 08 seat/track combo without platform seems slightly lower than original seat height.

On 11/16/2018 at 4:18 PM, CG in TX said:

I test fit the 08 seats with 08 tracks on top of the original seat platforms and it sat too high and I am only 5'9". The same 08 seat/track combo without platform seems slightly lower than original seat height.

Thanks! Exaclty what I wanted to hear. :)

7 hours ago, 69Stanger408 said:

CG in Texas, do you have pics of the reinforcement plates you used? I am 6'8" and needing lower seats. Was on the impression the seat platforms are vital to the structural integrity of the car.

I don't think regular seat platforms add anything to the structural integrity. If you are concerned about it, how about removing the seat platform and adding convertible enforcements on the bottom of the floor?

Don't have any photos of the metal work and the car has been done for a while, covered with paint, carpet and interior. I recently replaced the floor of my current 69 project with a one piece floor and welded the new seat platforms to it. I can't see how the platforms could add much to the structural strength as there are just tabs and flanges plug welded to the floor. I'm sure it helps somewhat but I would think a solid metal plate welded to the floor is stronger. The convertible re-enforcements are a good idea also.