Mike65

Sub-frame connectors

I am trying to decide between a few different sets of sub frame connectors to put on my 69 Coupe. I read a couple posts about them here & it seems like most people have used the Tinman connectors. I am trying to decide between 3 different ones.

1) Tin Man http://www.tinmanfabrication.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=58/category_id=60/mode=prod/prd58.htm

2) Tommyzees https://www.ebay.com/itm/65-70-Mustang-Tommyzees-Tubular-Subframe-Connectors/250640605552

3) Global West https://www.jegs.com/i/Global-West/459/911/10002/-1

Any thoughts, concerns about the three?.

I understand why people want these but the only test I've seen shows that SFCs do absolutely nothing (ZERO) for torsional twist. In another discussion I've seen math presented that shows why its not possible. The engineer presenting the math professes that it may do something for the longitudinal rigidity, but no one can/has tested for that. This falls into the category of:  if it makes you happy, do it.

What does work are convertible inside rockers, but they also take considerably more effort to install. Its what Ford did to stiffen the car when they took the roof off. Street or Track has a good article on how to install them (in a fast back) on their website under "Other Stuff".

Like your one piece headliners Rich, I can't give enough praise to the conv inner rockers I installed on my 69. They really tighten up these old creak boxes. I can't see not adding them to any future Mustang I build. Ymmv.

I have the Global West subframe connectors.  I trial fit them and they fit just fine.  I haven't installed them because I cringe at the thought of welding to the bottom of my car that is still all original sheetmetal.

Here is another brand to consider, Maier Racing.  https://www.maierracing.com/product/mustang-sub-frame-connectors/

The Tinman connectors look most like they would have been original.  The method of attaching them doesn't look very well engineered.

I did the make your own tin man SFC It was one of the best things that has been done to this car.

Keep in mind that I have high miles and many passed rust issues.

Putting in a 560 hp motor made it more like a rag doll.

Wish I did this mod years ago..

Hey Mike. I have Global West, and I am very happy with them.  I used them because I have a convertible, and it needs all the support I can give it.   I don't think it is a bad idea to strengthen up these old unibody cars, especially if you are going to have a lot more horsepower and more aggressive suspension and tires.   Some pics attached and welding courtesy of Mike at Latoracing on the forum...

IMG_1986.JPG

IMG_1987.JPG

IMG_1988.JPG

I have Global West. I basically did everything Global West and it stiffened the handling! So much better. I'm in CA and going 70 on the freeway around a slight bend was SCARY. The front and rear were lagging and trying to sync up to each other. The SFC helped tremendously. Here's how they look underneath which I'm completely fine with. just my opinion, but they welded right in. Simple

IMG_2052.JPG

I kind of like to make my own but if I were going to buy some they'd be the Spintechs. They are the only ones that truly integrate into the unibody of the car and look like the factory might have done them to the uninformed eye. Never been a fan of the "piece of pipe stuck under the car" look.

https://spintechmufflers.com/mustang-1965-1970-sub-frame-connectors/

I've got the TCP system - subframe connectors and the bolt-in X brace - waiting to go into my '69 coupe.  I like the design a lot.  I'm saving pennies to take it to the frame shop for squaring up and installation of the subframe connector system, plus I'm going to order the MTF front subframe assembly and Opentracker Racing shock tower bracing kit and the below engine cross member too and get them all installed while it's on the frame rack.

My best friend has the Global west on his 69 and I have the Tin Man units on my 69.

Here's my take on them.

I chose the Tin man units because they are a little beefier, but you need to cut the end of the frame rails open and slide them up into the front then plug weld them...I welded mine around the back of the rail as well.... The rear has one welding tab for the side and then where it contacts the frame on the end and side of the connector can be welded out as well.

The Tin Man units IMHO will take more of a beating if you were to drag the bottom of the car on something I'm pretty sure. They essentially touch the floor pan for almost their entire length. They also make great jacking / Frame stand points if you were ever to need them for whatever reason.

The Global wests are also great, just don't know how they would handle dragging a speed bump or something like that were they to ever take a lick. 

I can tell you this much tho, my car is really rigid with the Tin man connectors...I am not saying that they are the best out there, but they do the job and look like they belong